Folk Art Bird Decor
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 8"x10" Walnut Hollow® wood panel
- Delta® Ceramcoat paint: Sunbright Yellow, Light Ivory, Paradise, Tahiti Blue, Orange Pop, Sweet Pea, Light Foliage Green, Black, Think Pink, Bambi Brown
- Delta® Wood Sealer satin varnish
- Paintbrushes: 1" flat, # 10 flat, #6 flat, #1 liner, small stencil
- Fine sandpaper
- Graphite paper
- Paper towels
- Round sponge applicators: small, medium
1. To prepare wood, apply wood sealer to entire wood panel using the1" flat paintbrush. Allow to dry. Sand panel. Wipe with damp paper towel.
2. Basecoat top and sides of panel using 1" flat brush with Sunbright Yellow, picking up Light Ivory on brush now & then. Use a criss-cross or cross-hatching motion. Allow to dry thoroughly.
3. Trace bird pattern very lightly onto panel using graphite paper & stylus. Place a dot at center of each daisy.
4. Basecoat bird with Paradise using the #10 flat paintbrush. Shade behind wing & at the bottom of tail feathers with Tahiti Blue. Highlight wing with Light Ivory using the #6 flat paintbrush.
5. Use #1 liner to paint eye Black, beak Orange Pop & legs Bambi Brown. Highlight eye with Light Ivory & beak nostril with Black. Use small stencil paintbrush to add Think Pink cheek; highlight with Light Ivory.
6. Centers of daisies are made with small round sponge applicator dipped in Orange Pop. Add petals with thin strokes made with Sweet Pea using #1 liner brush.
7. Paint grass on bottom of Panel using the #1 liner and Light Foliage Green.
8. Use a medium round sponge applicator dipped in Tahiti Blue to add dots on each edge of panel. Allow to dry.
9. Paint 2 to 3 coats of satin varnish to entire panel with the 1" flat brush for a protective finish. Allow varnish to dry between coats.