Friendship Mixed Media Piece
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Batting 9"x11"
- Duck cloth natural 8"x10"
- 2 different background fabrics 8-1/2"x10" each
- Scraps of assorted fabrics for chairs, banner, yo-yo: from 2"x2" to 4"x6"
- White tulle 8"x8"
- Lace trim for table 5"
- Assorted 1/8" ribbon & embroidery floss 8" long each
- Thread: variegated, black, natural
- Watercolor paint: brown, green
- Watercolor paintbrush
- Words cut from magazines or books
- Heart shaped button
- 8"x10" piece of card stock or thin cardboard
- Colored pencil, white (mugs & vase)
- Sewing/embroidery machine
- Basic sewing supplies
Note: RS= Right Side, WS= Wrong Side
1. Machine-embroider “friendship" onto duck cloth with black thread. Trim so there is a 1/4" edge around word.
2. Thread sketch table and chairs with free-motion setting, or, use copyright- free image and trace onto fabric. Stitch over sketch. Use variegated thread for flower. Color leaves & coffee with watercolor paint. Let dry. Color coffee mugs & vase with white colored pencil. Use ticking fabric for chair seat: cut to shape and stitch to chair. Cut out table and chairs about 1/4" from design edge.
3. Sew background fabrics RS together on short edges. Press open and determine where the horizon line will be on picture. Place on top of batting and stitch edges. Finish edges as desired.
4. Sew lace trim to table edge with machine or by hand. Sew table & chairs to background with a scant 1/8" stitch around all edges.
5. Make present by cutting scrap fabric into a square about 2"x2". Fold left and right edges under and sew. Place small piece of netting in middle vertically to form a ribbon and sew long edges. Fold bottom edge under to conceal end of netting, stitch. Place present on chair and stitch around side and bottom edges. Fold and sew top edge but allow netting to stick out of present. Tie embroidery floss strands together to form bow and tack to top of present.
6. Stitch “friendship" piece to base with variegated thread in tight zig-zag stitch.
7. Make pennant banner by cutting 1" long triangles of various fabrics. Stitch to canvas. Cut out leaving 1/4" edge around pennant. Cut various ribbon in 1" to 5" lengths for streamers. Tack to base where they will be hidden by banner edge. Place banner and stitch to base around all edges with a scant 1/8". Trim ribbon if necessary.
8. Make yo-yo to desired size and hand-stitch in place. Hand-stitch heart button in middle of yo-yo.
9. Place words on base. Put white netting over words and stitch down. Trim away excess netting.
10. Cover backing piece of card stock with fabric and stitch around all edges.
11. Place backing and art piece with WS together. Stitch around edges and finish as desired.