Fringed Denim Tote
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Denim remnants, assorted
- 1/2 yd denim A
- 1/4 yd denim B
- 1/2 yd cotton lining fabric
- Magnetic snap
- 1/4 yd sew-in interfacing
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & ironing surface
- Washing machine, dryer
DIRECTIONS: Refer to photo. Seam allowances are 1/2".
- Cut denim remnants for front.
- Denim A: Cut back panel 16"x14".
- Denim B: Cut strap 35"x4".
- Cut strap interfacing 35"x4".
- Cut lining 16"x14".
- Pin & sew denim pieces together for front. Refer to photo for design. Construct panel 16"x14". Stitch denim pieces wrong sides together to create fringe.
- Pin and stitch front panel to back panel, wrong sides together.
- Make small scissor-cuts in all outside 1/2" seam allowances at 1/2" intervals to create fringe.
- Wash denim front and back in washing machine to create frayed fringe. Dry in dryer.
- Baste interfacing to wrong side of strap.
- With right sides together, fold strap in half, pin and stitch along long raw edge. Turn right side out.
- Topstitch 1/4" on long edges.
- Pin strap to bag at sides. With raw edges even, center strap ends over side seam. Baste in place.
- With right sides together and raw edges even, pin and stitch lining front to back. Leave a 4" opening at bottom edge. Leave top edge open.
- Attach magnetic snap to right side of lining 1-1/2" down from raw edge; centered between seams.
- With right sides together and raw edges even, pin and stitch lining to denim front/back. Do not catch strap.
- Turn lining to inside through opening; pull out strap. Press top edge of bag. Top stitch top edge of bag 1/4".
- Edge stitch opening in lining closed.