Fun Veggie Friends
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Styrofoam brand foam:
- 2 Cones, 6"x3"
- 1 Egg, 5"
- 1 Ball, 3"
- Acrylic paints: orange, purple, red
- Clay pots, 1 each: 2-1/2", 3"
- Green plastic canvas yarn
- Wiggle eyes, 4 each: 10mm, 15mm
- 4 Wooden ball knobs, 3/8"
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Paintbrushes: round, flat
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Craft glue
- Pass knife blade through candle stub. Use knife to cut foam cones into carrot shapes; make each carrot slightly different. Sand carrots with scrap piece of foam to remove rough edges. Use paintbrush handle to indent horizontal lines in carrots. Use a finger to make round indentation in top of each carrot.
- Paint carrots orange. Paint two wooden ball knobs red to be used for noses.
- Glue two 10mm wiggle eyes to one carrot and two 15mm eyes to remaining carrot. To create eyelids, paint top third of each eye orange; use marker to outline eyelids.
- Using photo as guide, glue noses to carrots. Using very little paint, paint cheeks red. Use marker to draw mouths and eyebrows.
- For carrot stems, glue yarn loops of various sizes together; glue stems to carrot tops.
- Glue additional yarn loops inside top of 2-1/2" clay pot. Glue carrots together, then glue carrots inside pot.
- Pass knife blade through candle stub. With knife, form foam egg into eggplant shape; indent top. Sand eggplant with scrap piece of foam to remove rough edges.
- Paint eggplant purple. Paint one wooden ball knob red to be used for the nose.
- Glue two 15mm eyes to eggplant. Paint eyelids purple; outline with marker.
- For leaves, glue small yarn loops to top of eggplant. For stem, cut three 3/4" lengths from yarn. Glue lengths together, then glue to top of eggplant.
- Glue additional yarn loops and eggplant inside top of 3" pot.
- Pass knife blade through candle stub. With knife, form foam ball into tomato shape; indent top. Sand tomato with scrap piece of foam to remove rough edges.
- Paint tomato red. Paint one wooden ball knob orange to be used for the nose.
- Glue two 10mm eyes to tomato. Paint eyelids red; outline with marker.
- To make leaves, follow eggplant Step 4.