Garden State Afghan
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Lion Brand® 24/7 Cotton, 1 ball each: Goldenrod (A), Camel (B), Lemon (C), Ecru (D), Jade (E), Denim (F), Sky (G), Grass (H), Aqua (I), Mint (J), Taupe (K), Magenta (L), Rose (M), Lilac (N), Pink (O), Purple (P) or colors of choice
- Lion Brand® crochet hook size E-4 (3.5 mm)
- Lion Brand® large-eyed blunt needle
- About 41" x 50" (104 x 127 cm)
- 1 Flower = about 3-3/4" (9.5 cm) diameter.
- BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
- STITCH EXPLANATIONS:
- V-st (V-stitch) Work (dc, ch 2, dc) in indicated st.
- Petal-join Yarn over, insert hook in indicated ch-sp and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 loops rem on hook), insert hook from front to back in center dc of neighboring petal, yarn over and draw through st and all loops on hook.
- Afghan is made from 158 Flowers, connected with a "join as you go" technique.
- First Flower is worked separately in joined rnds. The first 3 rnds of each following Flower are worked the same as First Flower. The last rnd of each is worked almost the same as the last rnd of First Flower, EXCEPT Petal-joins are worked instead of dc sts at the center of one or more petals to join the current Flower to previous Flower(s).
- Refer to Assembly Diagram for placement of each Flower. To print the diagram, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). Beg at lower right corner, make and join Flowers in rows working from right to left across.
- Joining Flowers as you go is easy to do! It eliminates sewing pieces tog and weaving in some of the ends. For those who find a visual helpful, we’ve included diagrams.
- If you prefer, all Flowers can be worked separately, then sewn tog following the Assembly Diagram.
- FIRST FLOWER
- With A, ch 6, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
- Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 3 (counts as first dc), work 11 dc in ring; join with sl st in top of beg ch – 12 dc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in each st around; join with sl st in first sc – 24 sc.
- Rnd 3: Ch 5 (counts as dc, ch 2), dc in same st as joining (first V-st made), *sk next st, V-st in next st; rep from * around, sk last st; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 12 V-sts
- Rnd 4: Sl st in first ch-2 sp, ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc) in same ch-2 sp (petal made), (sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc) in each ch-2 sp around; join with sl st in first sc – 12 petals.
- Fasten off.
- NEXT 157 FLOWERS
- Step 1: Referring to Assembly Diagram for yarn color, work next Flower same as First Flower through Rnd 3.
- Step 2: Referring to Assembly Diagram, place current Flower near its neighboring Flower(s). Match ch-2 sps of current Flower to 1 petal on each neighboring Flower. A Flower is joined to each neighboring Flower at one petal. One petal is left unjoined between joined petals.
- Step 3: Work Rnd 4 of First Flower, working each petal that has a neighboring petal as follows: (sc, hdc, Petal-join, hdc, sc) in next ch-2 sp of current Flower. If a petal does not have a neighboring petal, work petal as in Rnd 4 of First Flower: (sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc) in ch-2 sp.
- Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
- beg = begin(ning)
- ch = chain
- ch-sp(s) = space(s) previously made
- dc = double crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- rep = repeat
- rnd(s) = round(s)
- RS = right side
- sc = single crochet
- sk = skip
- sl st = slip stitch
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- tog = together