Glass Bamboo Centerpieces
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Glass containers: One 6" Square Two 4" Squares
- Green bamboo reeds, 2 bundles
- 12-oz White seashells, 2 pkgs
- 18"x24" Cork roll
- 1 ball Hemp jute
- White floating candles
- Earthy or natural-look buttons, 3 pkgs
- E6000 Multi-purpose adhesive glue
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Glass cleaner & paper towels
- Piece of heavy cardboard
- Masking tape
- Optional: Rotary cutter & rotary cutting supplies
- Clean square glass containers with glass cleaner and paper towels.
- Cut bamboo reeds into pieces of various heights. Glue cut pieces to the glass container exteriors using E6000 adhesive. Extend some of the pieces over the top. Allow to dry.
- Using scissors or rotary cutter, cut the following pieces of cork roll: 2 pieces = 3/4"x24" and 2 pieces = 1-1/4"x24". With hot glue gun, glue the 3/4" pieces around the 4" containers about 1/2" from the bottom. Glue a 1-1/4" piece around the 6" container about 1/2" from the bottom. Cut 4 pieces of hemp 6 yards long and 2 pieces 7 yards long.
- To create the macrame cord around the container, use 2 pieces of the 6-yard lengths, measure down 1 yard on both, fold and secure the pieces together with an overhand knot. Tape the knot to the heavy cardboard. Make square knots using the longest cords knotted over the shortest cords until the cord goes around the 4" container on top of the cork. Repeat this step with the remaining cords.
- Untie the overhand knot and cut the cords approximately 1/2" from the first knot. With hot glue gun, glue this end in the center of one side on container on top of the cork band. Continue gluing around container until it's almost completely covered. Take the inside cords and place them in the holes in the back of the decorative button. The button should rest on top of the square knots. Take the two other cords and bring to front of button. Group all cords together off to the side of the button and tie an overhand knot. Trim off excess cords to desired lengths. Glue knot to macrame knots. Repeat this step 2 more times.
- Place seashells in containers. Fill with water then place floating candles in containers.