Glimmering Gift Box
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Tulip fabric-crafting supplies:
- Soft Fabric Paint, olive matte
- Fabric Spray Paint, Sparkling Silver
- Glam-It-Up! Iron-On Crystals
- Tulip Cordless Heat-Setting Tool
- Soft Fabric Paint, olive matte
- Aleene's Crystal Clear Tacky Spray
- Rectangular paper mache box
- 7/8"-wide blue ribbon
- 1"-wide painter's tape
- Makeup sponge
- 1/2 yd fabric, light olive
- White chalk pencil
- Poster board
- Iron, ironing surface
Read all directions before beginning project. Refer to photo for color and design placement. Replace newspaper on work surface with fresh paper after several Crystal Clear Tacky Spray uses.
- Press fabric to smooth out wrinkles.
- Cover work surface with newspaper. Lay box lid on fabric. Trace with chalk pencil. Measure and mark 3" beyond box line. Cut out fabric piece.
- Lightly spray glue on top of lid. Carefully center fabric on top with lid in very center of fabric piece. Press lid down on fabric, smooth out bubbles.
- Make an incision into fabric at each corner and fold edges under to create a clean fold. Use Tacky Spray to adhere corners and excess fabric to inside of lid.
- Measure piece of fabric slightly larger than inside of lid and cut out. Fold edges under with piece fitted inside lid. Iron folded edges smooth. Spray inside of lid with Tacky Spray and press down fabric piece. Allow to dry.
- Lay bottom part of box on top of larger piece of fabric and mark with pencil. Cut out piece slightly larger than bottom of box; set aside. Measure height of box, as well as length of sides combined to create one long strip of fabric that will wrap around sides of box. Add 1" to top and 1" to bottom height wise, and add 1" to the length of strip. Cut out.
- Wrap strip around box to fit, then remove and spray sides of box with Tacky Spray. Fold one edge under 1/2" and press onto corner edge of 1 side for a clean edge. Continue to press and smooth strip onto sides of box, 1 side at a time. Fold remaining end under 1/2", press onto corner. Allow to dry.
- Place box on poster board and trace around bottom. Cut out piece and spray with Tacky Spray. Place fabric piece cut earlier onto piece and smooth out wrinkles or bubbles. Spray fabric, extending over edges. Wrap over edges; press on other side of poster board. Allow to dry.
- Spray bottom of box with Tacky Spray; press poster board piece in place onto bottom with fabric-covered side facing outward. Allow to dry.
- Measure and cut poster board pieces to fit inside sides of box. Measure and cut slightly larger pieces of fabric to cover poster board cut. Adhere with Tacky Spray. Spray inside box; press fabric-covered pieces into box.
- Place lid on work surface. Mark 1-1/4" around each side of box lid. Tape off around outer edge of line. Measure and mark a 2-1/4"x 4" rectangle in center of lid. Add tape around edge of each line.
- Pour a puddle of olive paint onto foil. Use sponge to dab paint into open area between tape. Allow to dry; repeat if needed. Allow to dry. Remove tape.
- Place box on work surface. Add tape vertically around sides of box, covering each side. Remove every other strip to create stripes. Sponge in olive paint. Allow to dry; repeat if necessary. Remove tape.
- Spray box with Sparkling Silver Fabric Spray Paint. Allow to dry.
- Lightly draw monogram with chalk pencil. Position crystals. Adhere with Cordless Heat-Setting Tool according to manufacturer's directions.
- Tie ribbon around lid.