Gracie Side Ruffle Dress
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Gracie Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Gracie Strips
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
- Follow Steps 1-4 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- Make shoulder tie from a 5" strip. Cut strip in half lengthwise to 2-1/2"x42". Fold one strip in half RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4" from all cut edges leaving a 3" opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed.
Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed through the front and back casings. Pull to gather and tie on one shoulder. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Continue with Step 7 from the kit instructions to hem the dress and refer to the Fitting Information to alter the length.
- Make side ruffles from 5" strips. Cut four strips 3-1/4"x21" of one fabric and two strips 3-1/4"x21" of the second fabric. To hem the short ends of all six strips, turn under 1/4" twice; press. Stitch close to the fold on short ends. Repeat to hem the long edges. For quick serged ruffles, finish edges with a serged rolled hem. Using longest stitch length, sew two rows of gathering stitches 1/8" apart just below the top hem on each strip. Leave long thread tails at ends for gathering.
- Pull the bobbin threads from each end to gather strips to approximately 9". Place the ruffles horizontally on each side of dress with 6” on the front and 3” across the side seam to the back. Start 1" from the bottom edge of dress and stack the ruffles, overlapping 1/4" for a total of three on each side.
Pin in place adjusting the gathers evenly. Sew along gathering stitches with straight or zigazg stitches to attach ruffles to dress.
FITTING: The Gracie Side Ruffle Dress as pictured is 17". Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress Boutique™ Gracie Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
Finished Care Instructions: Machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed.
Items in This Collection
Item # 14470728