Finished length as shown on model: 20 1/2"
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress BoutiqueGracie Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress BoutiqueGracie Strips
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible web: 10”x10”
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Press seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
FITTING: The Gracie Tunic as pictured is 20-1/2”. Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress BoutiqueGracie Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished tunic length may vary.
- Follow Steps 1-4 of the dress instructions to make the tunic.
- Make shoulder ties from a 5” strip. Cut one strip in half into two 2-1/2”x42” strips. Fold one cut strip in half RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4” from all cut edges leaving a 3” opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed. Repeat with remaining cut strip for the second tie. Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed it through the front casing; repeat with second tie for the back casing. Pull to gather at shoulders. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make the ruffle from two matching 5” strips. Place ruffle strips RST matching edges and corners. Pin and sew two short edges together; press seam open. Cut off 9” from each end and sew the two short edges together to make a circle.
- Press both long edges 1/4” to the wrong side and then press in again 1/4”. Sew close to pressed edges to hem the ruffle on both edges (Dia. C). Option: Serge a narrow rolled hem.
- Lay ruffle flat so seams meet and mark the center along both top edges. Sew 1/2” from the top edge with a long gathering stitch, stopping at each side seam and leaving a long thread tail. Repeat 1/4” from previous gathering stitch.
- Measure down 2” from the underarm hole on both sides and mark ruffle placement with a pin on right side of tunic (or place as desired). Pin the ruffle to the bodice so that side seams and center marks are matching. Adjust gathers evenly and sew ruffle to right side of dress by stitching over the gathers (Dia. E).
- Make decorative ruffle band from a 5” strip. Measure gathered ruffle from seam to seam and add 1”. Cut two pieces 1” wide by length of your measurement and sew together on the short ends to make a circle; press seams open. Fold both long edges under 1/4” and press well. Pin band over gathering stitches, matching seams, and topstitch close to both edges.
- Make the dimensional flower from a 5” strip. To print the pattern, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). Trace four flowers on paper side of fusible web. Fuse the four shapes to the wrong side of the fabric strip according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out flowers on the drawn lines and remove the paper. Tip: Score paper backing with a pin to remove backing easier. Fuse, glue side down, on the wrong side of the remaining fabric according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out flowers. Loosely fold each flower in quarters and hand tack the point.
- Tack the four sections together to make one flower. Pin to band on side of dress.
- Continue with Step 7 from the dress instructions to hem the dress.