Grandma's Gingerbread Cookies
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 5-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups unsulphured molasses
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Basic baking supplies
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Thoroughly mix flour, baking soda, salt and spice together in a bowl.
- Melt shortening in large saucepan. Cool slightly. Add sugar, molasses and eggs to saucepan; mix well.
- Add 4 cups dry ingredients; mix well.
- Turn mixture onto lightly floured surface. Knead in remaining dry ingredients by hand. Add a little more flour, if necessary, to make firm dough.
- On floured surface, roll out 1/8" to 1/4" thick for cut-out cookies or roll into 1" balls and press into shape.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet:
6 to 10 minutes for small and medium-sized cookies
10 to 15 minutes for large cookies.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven. Let cookies cool for 1 minute, then move to cooling rack.
Makes 40 medium-sized cookies
Note: Gingerbread dough can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to a week. Remove dough from refrigerator 3 hours prior to rolling.