Granite Pillar Candle

Granite Pillar Candle

Crafting Time:
  • Varies
Skill Level:
  • Intermediate
Project Courtesy of: Yaley
Print Project Description Add to Project List

Additional Information



  • Protected work surface (cardboard/newspaper)
  • Yaley’s mold
  • Wick
  • Mold sealer
  • Yaley’s Premium Wax
  • Double boiler
  • Thermometer
  • Stirring utensil
  • Dye
  • Scent/fragrance
  • Scissors


1. Prepare work area with cardboard or newspaper. Project can be messy, dress accordingly.
2. Wipe mold clean. Be careful, the edges are sharp.
3. Wick mold following the instructions included with the mold. Make sure mold sealer is completely covering wick at bottom of mold and that wick is tight and centered at the opening of the mold. Place prepared mold on level surface.
4. Using Yaley’s Premium Wax, melt wax in a double boiler following the instructions on the wax label. Melt wax to 200° F. Turn off heat source when wax reaches temperature. Never leave melting wax unattended.
5. While wax is at 200° F, add dye. Follow instructions on dye package to achieve the desired color. Stir in dye until completely melted. Using small shavings of dye works best. Never use water based soap dye; it will cause wax to explode.
6. Add scent if desired. Follow instructions included with fragrance. Stir in well.
7. Let wax cool to 130° F. Once the wax has cooled and there is a film layer forming over the wax, start stirring it to help induce air into the wax and making it chunky.
8. Scoop wax into mold making sure the wick stays straight. Tap the mold and push the wax down into the mold to compress the wax. Fill to desired height. Hint: the colder the wax, the rougher (or granite) look will appear. The hotter the wax (190-200° F), the smoother the candle will look.
9. After a few hours, and the mold and wax has completely cooled, remove candle from the mold. Remember, the bottom of the mold becomes the top of the candle.
10. Trim wick to 1/4" and candle is now ready to burn. Always follow warnings.

Use caution with handling metal molds. Edges are sharp and can cut you.
When melting wax, do not exceed 260° F. Never leave melting wax unattended and always use a thermometer to monitor temperature. Wax is similar to other cooking oils. It will burst into flames if the wax is too hot. If wax catches fire due to overheating, immediately turn off heat source and smother the fire with a lid or baking soda. Do not use water; it will cause the fire to explode. Keep candle making supplies and burning candles away from children. Keep burning candles out of drafts and away from potential hazards such as drapes, children, or animals. Never leave a lighted candle unattended. Trim wick to 1/4" before relighting every time. Always place candles on plates or heat resistant containers as to not damage furniture.