Green Guy Snack Cakes
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® foodcrafting supplies:Recipes: Coil Cakes Mini Cakes and Filling (available on cake pan)Bake Easy!® Non-Stick SprayCoil Cakes Mini Cake PanParchment Paper10"x16" Cooling Grid9” Angled Spatula9" Fondant Roller (pink guide rings used)Cake Decorating Tip: 10Vanilla Treat GlazeKelly Green Icing Color14"x16" Cookie Sheet12" Disposable Decorating BagsBlack Candy Melts® Candy (1/2 oz. used)Large Candy Eyeballs
- Food-safe scissors
- Plastic ruler
- Cocoa powder
- Large orange spice drops
- Granulated sugar
- Red shoestring licorice
1. Make mini cakes. Prepare cake batter following recipe directions. Bake cakes in mini cake pan. While cakes bake, use scissors to cut a parchment rectangle for each treat, 3-1/2"x 6". Sprinkle rectangle lightly with cocoa powder. Remove cakes from oven. Use knife to immediately trim edges off cake for easy rolling. Place cake on rectangle dusted with cocoa powder, then dust cake lightly with cocoa powder.
2. Roll cakes. Gently roll cake to form a coil shape. Allow to cool, parchment seam down.
3. Fill cakes. Prepare filling following recipe directions. Gently unroll cake. Use spatula to gently spread filling on top of cake. Reroll cake.
4. Make features. Use 9" fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out orange spice drops 1/16" thick on parchment paper sprinkled with sugar. Use narrow end of tip 10 to cut nose. Use wide end of tip 10 to cut hands. Use scissors to cut out triangle shapes for fingers. Use scissors to cut licorice arms, 1-1/4" long.
5. Cover cakes. Heat treat glaze according to package directions. Use icing
color to tint green. Place cakes, bottom side down, on cooling grid over
parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Use a cut disposable decorating bag
to pipe glaze over each cake. Tap to settle. Attach eyes and nose to freshly glazed treats. Insert arms into treat, 3/8" deep. Allow to set at room temperature overnight until firm.
6. Assemble cakes. Melt black Candy Melts candy according to package directions. Use melted candy in a cut disposable decorating bag to attach
hands to arms and pipe mouth. Allow to cool in refrigerator 5 to 10 minutes.
Project Tip: Use melted colorful Wilton Candy Melts candy instead of the Wilton Treat Glaze for a high-gloss, hard-shell texture on mini cakes.