SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Dritz® 1/2” Bias Tape Maker
- 3/4 yard fabric for pillow & band
- 1/2 yard each of two fabrics for grid lines
- 1/4 yard fusible fleece
- Thread to match bias grid & pillow fabric
- 12” x 16” pillow form
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Omnigrid® ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
1. Cut two pieces of pillow fabric measuring the exact size of the form. Cut 2 pieces of band fabric and 1 piece of fleece measuring 6” x 23-1/2”.
2. Pillow: Pin the pillow fabric right sides together. Stitch 1/2” from cut edges, leaving 8” unstitched along one long side. Turn right side out. Press.
3. Insert the pillow form. Pin the opening closed. Slipstitch to finish.
4. Place the wrong side of one band against the fusible side of the fleece. Press to fuse.
5. Grid: Use the rotary cutter, ruler and mat to cut 1” wide bias strips about 27” long. 6 vertical strips, and 6 cross strips will be needed.
6. Make bias tape with all strips following the package instructions.
7. Pin vertical strips to the right side of the fused band, parallel to the long edges. To do this, place one piece 1/2” from each cut edge. Using the grid marked ruler as a guide, position the others evenly in between (about 3/8” apart). Stitch each strip close to the fold to attach.
8. Cut cross strips 6” long. Pin strips parallel to the short ends. Using ruler as a guide, place the pieces one half inch apart, starting 1/2” from one short end. Stitch each strip close to the fold to attach.
9. Place band pieces right sides together. Stitch the long edges 1/2” from edge. Trim seams to 1/4” Turn right side out. Press.
10. Fold, strip side facing together, lining up short edges. Carefully stitch between side seams. Do not catch lining. Press the seam open.
11. Tuck lining ends under so all seam allowances are tucking inside the band. Stitch.
12. Slide the band over the pillow.