Halloween Photo Tree
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Delta acrylic paints: Raw Sienna, Green Tea, Lavender, White, Ivory, Black
- Delta Satin Interior Varnish
- 1/8 yd cotton fabric, purple print
- Muslin, torn scrap approx. 1/8"x6"
- 1 pkg 3/8" unfinished wood furniture buttons
- Unfinished wood Halloween Tree
- Scrapbooking Supplies: Black Slide Mount Frames, Black Adhesive Tags, Date Stamp, Stamp Pad, Chalk Palette, pastels assortment
- Black Floss
- Spanish Moss
- 15" of 20 gauge wire
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks*
- Cotton balls
- Cotton swabs
- Paintbrushes 1/4" flat, 1/2" flat, liner
- Wire cutters
* Hot glue gun & glue sticks should only be used with adult supervision.
- Base coat tree and base with brown, allow to dry thoroughly.
- Use black paint to paint eyes and mouth in center of tree trunk. Using cotton ball and brown pastels darker than the tree color, shade edges of trees and branches to achieve depth in the tree.
- Use cotton ball and red pastel chalk to shade cheek area of the tree.
- Coat entire tree and tree base with clear satin varnish. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Wind grapevine around tree. Anchor with hot glue.
- Hot glue small clumps of Spanish moss to tree using photo as placement guide.
- Cut hangers off shapes. Discard hangers.
- Base coat Frankenstein with green; Witch, lavender; Mummy, ivory; Ghost, white; Skeleton, white; Bat, black and Spider, black. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Using the same paint shades as above, base coat furniture plugs as follows: 2 green, 2 lavender, 2 ivory and 2 white. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Using small brushes, paint details on shapes using the photo as a guide. Use the end of the handle on the paintbrush to make dot eyes. Let white parts of eyes dry completely before dotting black parts.
- When mummy is dry, wrap muslin fabric around, allowing eyes to show through. Anchor muslin with hot glue.
- Use black floss to make witch's hair. Attach with hot glue.
- Use purple fabric scraps to make knot bows for decoration on shapes. Attach with hot glue.
- Using hot glue and photo as a guide, attach head to each cardboard frame (slide mounts) and 2 corresponding color furniture buttons on each side of head to simulate hands. Ghost will not have hands.
- Cut purple fabric the same size as black cardboard frames and glue to the back of the frame along the sides and bottom creating a pocket. The right side of the fabric shows through in the front of the frame.
- Cut photos slightly larger than the opening in the frame and slide photos into pockets.
- Stamp consecutive dates (year only) on the white part of the black adhesive tags. Stick stamped circles on frames using photo as placement guide.
- Using photo for placement, glue frames to tree.
- Insert 5" piece of wire into hole on top of spider. Hang spider from tree bending wire as needed.
- Insert 10" piece of wire through hole in bat. Twist wire to secure. Attach other end of wire to tree top. Position wire so bat is hovering over tree.