SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Felt – gray, white, green, orange, yellow, purple, black
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery floss: green, orange, purple, black
- Buttons: yellow, orange, purple - variety of shades & sizes
- Pinking shears
- Paper & pencil for pattern
1. To print the pattern, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). Cut a paper pattern the shape of a tombstone. Make it the width of your four fingers plus an inch on each side. This is your basic pattern, to which you can add ears, arms, an elongated top, or extended bottom.
2. Candy Corn: cut the shape with added arms, elongated top and extended bottom. Cut the yellow felt and white felt just a little smaller than the pattern. Stitch the yellow shape onto the front single thickness of felt with purple floss. Lay the white shape at the top of the single thickness, and stitch on button eyes and mouth. Layer the two thicknesses and join with a running stitch.
3. Cat: Cut the basic pattern, adding ears. Decorate the front with round felt eyes, topped with buttons, whiskers with nose and mouth. Cut a tail shape and secure to the front layer with a button. Layer the two thicknesses and join with a running stitch and occasional cross stitches.
4. Pumpkin: Cut the basic pattern and add arms. Cut strips of yellow felt and stitch to the top layer only with orange floss. Cut black felt features and secure with black floss. Add button eyes. Layer the two thicknesses and join with a running stitch.
5. Tombstone: Cut the basic pattern. Cut a strip of grass from green felt. Cut a ghost shape from doubled white felt. Stitch button eyes to the ghost and join layers with green floss in a running stitch. Stitch RIP on the front of the tombstone with black floss. Stitch mouth and attach button eyes to front layer. Stitch on the grass with green floss. Layer both thicknesses, with the ghost sandwiched between layers. Join with a running stitch.