Handcrafted Letters for Mom
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 12" paper mache letters, 'MOM'
- 2 coordinating Home Decor fabrics of choice, 1/2 yd. each
- Knitting needles, size 13
- Sensations Angel Hair yarn, 1 skein each of 2 coordinating colors
- Crochet hook, size H
- Miniature clothespins
- Fabri-Tac glue
FABRIC COVERED LETTERS:
- Trace an outline of the letter "M" onto fabric of choice and add 1/2" extra seam allowance around all edges.
- Cut 4 pieces of fabric.
- To create fabric edges, cut two strips of coordinating fabric equal to the perimeter measurement plus 1" by 2-1/2" wide.
- Cover front and back surfaces of letters with cut fabric as shown. Use Fabri-Tac glue to adhere fabric seam allowances to sides of letters.
- Press under 1/2" on both long edges of strips.
- Use Fabri-Tac glue strip to apply all fabric edges of letters. Finish by folding under raw edge.
- Wrap yarn around "legs" of M's and secure ends with glue.
KNIT COVERED O:
- Cast on 16 stitches.
- Knit 60 rows.
- Join ends.
- Wrap letter O, stitching together in back 5.
Optional: If paper mache letter shows through knitted piece, cover the O with scraps of fabric that match yarn color.
- Slightly overlap letters and glue together.
- With crochet hook, chain stitch one 3 yard chain of each of the yarn colors.
- Twist chains together and wrap around letters as desired. Hang photographs from chains with clothespins.
- Optional: Glue photos to trimmed cardstock for a framed effect.