Hanging Flower Pots
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
FOR 16"x30" HANGING GARDEN:
- Suitable for planting herbs or small flowering plants.
- 3/4 yd outdoor fabric for back panel
- 1/4 yd outdoor fabric for box pleat planter
- Two 36" dowel rods
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Heavy-duty sewing machine needle
- Acrylic paint
- Cut back panel 20"x34".
- Fold sides under 1" and press. Fold under 1" again and press. Edge stitch hem. Repeat for other side.
- For top and bottom dowel rod casings, press under 2" on top and bottom. Press raw edge under 3/8" and press. Edge stitch 1-1/2" from folded edge. Repeat for other side.
- Cut one dowel 29-1/2". Paint dowels and allow to dry.
BOX PLEAT PLANTERS:
- Cut four 7"x12" pieces from planter fabric.
- Hem one 12" edge of each rectangle, turn under 1/4" then 3/8" and press. Stitch 1/4" from edge.
- Press under 1/4" on sides and bottom of each piece.
- To make box pleat planters, fold one piece in half. Lightly press center; with chalk or pins, mark out every 2" from center. (See diagram in PDF) Fold "A" to center, then "C" to "B"; repeat with other side. Press. Repeat for other pieces.
- To keep pocket shape at the top of each fold, stitch top 3/8" in through hem, then back stitch. (See diagram in PDF)
- Pin planter in place on back panel.
- Keeping front free, edge stitch sides; for added strength, stitch again close to first stitching. Lay front flat and edge stitch along bottom; for added strength, stitch again close to first stitching.
- Insert dowel through casing; plant and hang.
- FOR 13"x24" HANGING GARDEN
- Use 1 yard of outdoor fabric for back panel and 1 dowel.
- Follow above directions making 3 pots and cutting back panel 17"x28".