SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
DecoArt crafting supplies:
Americana acrylic paint: Snow (Titanium) White, Forest Green, Kelly Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Sapphire, Ultra
Blue Deep, Dioxazine Purple, Graphite, Light Buttermilk, Tangelo Orange, Primary Red, Primary Blue, Primary Yellow,
Americana DuraClear Satin Varnish
Dazzling Metallics: Emperors Gold, Worn Penny
Roc-Lon Budget Blackout drapery fabric
2" foam roller
5/8" dowel rod
Two 1" head beads
Paper plate or palette paper
Triangular cosmetic sponge
1. Cut a 9"x13.5" piece of Roc-Lon Budget Blackout drapery fabric. Using 2" foam roller, basecoat canvas side of
fabric Sapphire. Allow to dry.
2. Using same roller, dip tip into Ultra Blue Deep and heel into Snow White. Blend lightly on palette. Apply to banner
using a slip-slap, back and forth motion, blending softly. While still wet, repeat with same roller and Snow White
only and continue slip-slapping to give cloudy sky-like appearance. Note: Do not overblend, as this could produce a
solid color appearance.
3. When completely dry, sand lightly with sanding disc to remove any rough spots.
4. Trace pattern onto banner omitting detail lines, lettering, stripes on rainbow and individual coin lines.
5. Undercoat rainbow area using Snow White on 1/2" flat brush. Trace color separation lines on rainbow area.
Starting at left side of rainbow, paint stripes Primary Red, Tangelo Orange, Primary Yellow, Kelly Green, Primary
Blue and Dioxazine Purple.
6. Paint pot Graphite with 1/2" flat brush. Outline pot using liner brush and Lamp Black. Using same liner brush,
paint highlight marks on rim and right side of pot Light Buttermilk.
7. Paint coins using Emperors Gold. When dry, trace coins onto gold area. Using Worn Penny and liner brush, outline
coins and add detail lines.
8. Paint shamrock next to pot Kelly Green. Add vein lines in Foliage Green. Outline shamrock with Forest Green.
9. Trace lettering onto banner. Paint letters Foliage Green using #0 round brush. Use liner brush and Forest Green
to add drop shadow by painting thin line on left sides and bottoms of each letter. Using same brush and Light
Buttermilk, add highlights to letters.
10. Using painters tape, mask off four corners of banner. Using cosmetic sponge and Foliage Green, paint each corner.
11. Trace shamrock onto each corner. Paint shamrocks as in Step 8 above. Tape off side and bottom borders. Using
sponge as in Step 10, paint border Kelly Green. Tape off top border at bottom and around corner squares only.
Paint border and top flap Kelly Green.
12. Using liner brush, outline borders and corner squares with Forest Green. The top of the top border will be outlined at
fold line even with tops of corner squares.
13. Allow banner to dry thoroughly.
14. Cut dowel rod to 11" and paint Kelly Green. Sand; apply second coat of paint. Let dry. Paint beads Emperors
Gold. Sand and apply second coat. Let dry. Varnish both rod and beads.
15. Varnish banner with foam roller.
16. Fold top of banner towards back and glue in place, being sure to leave pocket for inserting dowel rod. Beads can
be secured with small amount of glue if necessary.
17. Cut ribbon to desired length. Attach to dowel rod for hanging.
Created by DecoArt Inc.