Hats Off to Grads Cupcakes
SUPPLIES AND TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies
- Black Icing Color
- Decorator Preferred White Fondant (6 ½ oz. needed)
- Gum-Tex Tylose Powder
- Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 9” Fondant Roller (purple guide rings used)
- Fondant Trimmer
- Decorator Brush Set
- Piping Gel
- 10”x16” Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- 12-cup Standard Muffin Pan
- Assorted Primary Colors Baking Cups (blue used)
- Buttercream Icing Recipe (available at wilton.com)
- 9” Angled Spatula
- Cupcakes 'N More® 13-Count Dessert Stand
- Plastic ruler
- Sharp knife
- Your favorite cupcake recipe or mix
- 24 hours in advance, make grad caps. Tint 5 oz. fondant black; knead 1/4 teaspoon Gum-Tex into fondant. Tint 1 1/2 oz. fondant yellow; knead 1/8 teaspoon Gum-Tex into fondant.
- For top of cap, use fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out black fondant 1/8” thick. Use fondant trimmer to cut into 13 squares, 1 1/2”. Roll 13 black fondant balls, 1/8”, flatten slightly and use damp brush to attach to top of fondant squares. For base of cap, divide remaining black fondant into 13 round portions and shape into squares, 1/2”. Let tops and bases of caps dry on cornstarch-dusted cake board overnight.
- Use piping gel to attach cap tops to bases. Roll yellow fondant into thin logs 1/8” thick x 1 1/8” long. Use damp brush to attach to caps. For tassel ends, use fondant roller with purple guide rings and roll out fondant 1/8” thick. Cut one piece for each treat, 3/4” long x 1/2” wide. Use knife to fringe the ¾” side, roll and attach to end of tassel with damp brush.
- Make cupcakes. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake and cool cupcakes.
- Decorate cupcakes. Prepare buttercream icing following recipe directions. Use spatula to ice top of cupcakes smooth. Position graduation caps on cupcakes. Place cupcakes on stand.
Project Tip: Wilton Baking Cups come in a variety of colors so you can stay true to your school and show off your spirit in any color combination!