SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Tulip® Custom Color Lab Cotton Yarn Dye Kit®
- 2 Modern
- 3 Cool (By the Sea)
- 6 Tulip® Custom Color Lab 100% cotton yarn skeins
- Chunky Weight
- Large plastic table cover
- Knitting needles, size 9/5.00 mm or size needed to obtain gauge
- Tapestry needle
- 16” square pillow insert
- Optional: Bobbins
- Untwist yarn skeins and tie in three places with small strings of yarn to prevent tangling.
- Dampen yarn with water.
- Wearing gloves from kit, add water to dye bottles and shake to mix according to package instructions.
- Variegated Yarn: Lay out on covered work surface in an oval shape. Apply sections of Lemonade, Robin’s Egg Blue, Cool Pool and Storm dye colors onto 3 skeins.
- Solid colored yarn: Submerge 3 skeins of yarn in bowl with dye or apply By the Sea dye to entire skein and work into yarn.
- Cover in plastic wrap to keep damp and let set 4 to 6 hours or longer. Once set, rinse thoroughly under running water until water runs clear and hang to dry.
- Gauge 10 sts and 16 rows = 4", blocked
- Pattern Notes: Use a separate strand of yarn for each chunk of color, to avoid floating unused yarn across back of stitches.
- Be consistent with your color changes, always bringing the new strand of yarn under the old strand of yarn to avoid holes in the work.
- With A, cast on 41 sts.
- Work 2” st st, ending with a WS row.
- Begin Heart
- To print the heart pattern and abbreviation chart, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
- All abbreviations are lower case unless specifically listed as upper case, or they appear at the start of a sentence.
- Row 1: With A, k 20, with B, k1, with second strand of A, k 20.
- Row 2: With A, p19, with B, p3, with A, p19.
- You have now completed Rows 1 – 2 of Heart Chart.
- Continue on in st st as established, following the color changes of the chart.
- When chart is completed, with A, work 2” st st, ending with a WS row.
- Bind off.
- Rep instructions for Front, using B as the background color and A as the heart.
- Weave in all ends and block if needed.
- Sew Front to Back on three sides, using either color of yarn and a tapestry needle.
- Insert pillow form into pillow case.
- Sew up final seam.