Heavy Metal Zipper Bib Necklace
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• 5 to 7 Coats Brass Separating Zippers: Black
• 18” Gold chain
• Toggle clasp
• Jump rings
• 2 gold head pins
• Seam sealant
• Hot glue gun and glue sticks
• Straight pins
• Wire cutters
• Needle nose and flat pliers
• Cork board or other surface for pinning into when arranging design
• Tweezers to pick out stray hot glue.
1. For this necklace a variety of zipper lengths work great. Longer zippers can be cut long zippers shorter for variety. Shorter zippers can be layered for larger coils. Use a seam sealant to prevent cut edges of the zipper tape from fraying.
2. Separate zippers. Remove the pull by cutting off the zipper tape just below the top stop and zipping off the end. Save for another use. Dab seam sealant on cut edge.
3. Make a number of zipper "beads" in a variety of sizes by coiling the zipper tape. Coil some of the “beads” very tightly in the center. Other can have a larger opening in the center some with holes. Wrap some coils clockwise and some counter clockwise.
4. Layout the design by temporarily secure the coils with straight pins into the cork or other surface.
5. When satisfied with layout of coils, begin to secure with hot glue, leaving a few inches of the zipper tape loose. Wrap the loose ends around other coils to join. Loop and swirl to fill in empty spaces.
6. When coils are completely secured to each other, use tweezers to pick any glue from between zipper coils.
7. Cut 2 lengths of chain to the desired length for the necklace
8. Push a head pin through a top side area of the zipper necklace and form a loop. Tip: Cut the head pin end on an angle to make it easier to stick through the zipper fabric. Repeat for the other side.
9. Link the ends of the chain though each of the loops.
10. Link each end of the toggle clasp onto the other ends of the chain.