Herringbone Love Letters
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 12" wood letters-L/O/V/E
- Acrylic paint: pink, white and gray
- Herringbone template or stencil (poster board or acetate)
- Sand paper block
- Scissors or craft knife
- Masking tape
- Clean cloth
- Self-healing cutting mat
1. Start at the top of the letters with white paint and add pink paint. Blend the colors while the paint is wet then allow to dry.
2. Make a herringbone stencil from poster board or acetate. Use a ruler and pencil to draw out pattern. Project shown – zig-zag is 1-1/2" wide x 3" long x 3" high repeated 12" across page and repeated 4 times on the stencil.
3. Cut out stencil using a ruler and craft knife. Or use masking tape strips on the letters, forming X&'s and then using a craft knife and ruler to remove sections of the tape to form the zig-zags.
4. Lay the stencil on top of the letter.
5. Apply gray paint using a dry brush technique –work from the outside in along the stencil or tape. Allow to dry. Carefully remove tape or stencil. Repeat with all the letters.
6. Using a sanding block, apply vertical strokes to each of the letters to distress them. Wipe the letters down with a clean cloth to remove any residue.
7. Letters can be arranged standing up or glue a ribbon hangar to the back of each letter for hanging.