Holiday Wine Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4 yd Casa Collection Organza
- 1/4 yd Tulle
- 1 large pkg Sulky Solvy Water-Soluble Stabilizer
- 2 spools 1/8" Silver ribbon
- 1 spool Sulky Holoshimmer thread
- 1 spool Sulky Rayon thread
- Basic sewing supplies
- Safety pins
- Pressing cloth
- The fabric for the bags is a layered design of ribbon and thread swirled between organza and tulle. To create the fabric, layer the organza, Solvy stabilizer, 8"-12" lengths of silver ribbon, snippets of ribbon, lengths of Holoshimmer thread, Solvy stabilizer and the tulle. Place pressing cloth on top of layers and press with a cool iron to fuse the pieces together. The pieces don't fuse completely, but it helps to keep the pieces from moving around. With safety pins, pin layers together to hold in place when stitching. Remove pins as you work; don't sew over pins.
- After entire piece is layered, free motion quilt using Sulky Rayon thread.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to dissolve Solvy out of the fabric. Allow fabric to dry.
- Cut a 7"x40" rectangle out of fabric. Fold in half with right sides together and stitch along long edges, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Finish raw edges if desired.
- To create bag bottom, form a gusset by lining up the side seam allowance to bottom fold. Pin. Measuring 1-1/4" from point of triangle, stitch across bottom. Repeat for other side seam.
- Turn under the top edge and stitch to make a small hem. Turn bag.
- Measuring 7" from bottom, tack center of a 12" piece of ribbon to side seam.
- Insert wine bottle. To close bag, fold down top flap of bag and gather/tie using ribbon tacked to side seam.
- If desired, add a small scrap bouquet to ribbon closure by cutting 1-3/4"x10" scraps of tulle, fabric and ribbon to embellish the wine bag closure.