How To Create Paper Mache Cake Boxes
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Round paper mache hat box
- Small round paper mache container about 6" tall
- Packet of Dritz® 1/2" center ruffle elastic- yellow
- Packets of adhesive pink plastic gems (2)
- Packet of bright pink metal brads
- 6"x6" mixed media paper pad
- Pad of confetti 12"x12" paper
- Strips of adhesive Jolee’s® flowers, 1 each, blue & pink
- 18" white small roping trim
- Large white roping trim
- Packet of white ric rac
- Sheet of gold metallic paper
- Spool of bright blue 1/4" ribbon
- Roll of gold tape1/2"
- X-Acto® knife
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- With the large hatbox upside down, glue a sheet of confetti paper down using a glue stick. Once the top sheet has dried, trim it close to the top edge using the X-Acto® knife.
- Cover the sides with the bright pink, using a glue stick to adhere it.
- Cut a 2" strip of striped paper to go around the top.
- Using a decorative paper punch, trim the edge of the paper strip. Attach the paper at the top edge of the hatbox. Trim the top edge of the hatbox with the yellow elastic tape.
- Trim 1" down from the top with the white ric rac.
- Place the pink adhesive gems about 1-1/2" around the middle of the cake. Place the bright pink brads in between the pink gems.
- Cover the lid on the sides with the confetti paper. Glue the lid to the bottom of the box.
- Attach the completed cake to the base with a liberal amount of hot glue. Press it firmly until it has dried.
- Using the hot glue gun, attach the small roping where the lid fits onto the box at the sides of the cake.
- Using the larger white roping, glue it around the bottom edge of the cake, putting the seams in the back of the cake.
- On the top of the cake, place the 3 blue flowers in a triad pattern. Then place the pink flowers in between the blue flowers.
- Cut leaves out the green burlap from the mixed media packet of paper.
- Glue the leaves under the blue and pink flowers.
- Using the circle disks in the confetti packet, randomly glue the circles around and under the leaves.
- BASE- Take the small round paper mache box and cut a piece of paper the width of the box. Using a glue stick attach the paper to the box, trimming the seams at the backside of the box.
- Using the gold paper, cover the side of the lid of the small round box.
- Attach a piece of ribbon in the middle of the gold lid with a glue stick.
- Cut out a thin piece of the pink paper and attach on top of the blue ribbon to give the base more interest.