How To Make A “Notebook Paper” Waterproof Tote
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Babyville Boutique White PUL - 2/3 Yard
- Omnigrid® Ruler 6" x 24"
- Dritz® Glass Head Pins
- Dritz® Pressing Cloth
- Dritz® Mark-B-Gone™ Disappearing Ink Marker
- Iron & pressing surface
- Heavyweight sew-in interfacing – 1/2 yard
- Polyester thread in white, teal & red
- Using PUL, cut four pieces 16" x 17" for bag and lining, and two pieces 4" x 18" for straps.
- Starting at top 16? edge of PUL front panel, measure down 2-1/2". Draw a straight line side to side across front PUL panel using disappearing ink marker. Measure down 3/4? from first line, then, draw another line across PUL.
- Continue to draw lines across front PUL panel at 3/4" intervals to bottom edge of bag.
- From the left edge of the front panel, measure over 2-1/2". Draw a vertical line from top to bottom of front panel.
- Stitch across the horizontal lines with teal thread, then stitch down the vertical line with red thread. Remove disappearing ink lines with a damp cloth. Using a pressing cloth, press front panel flat.
- Cut one piece of heavyweight interfacing 16" x 17". Pin rectangle of interfacing to laminate side of bag front panel. Baste together 3/8" from edge.
- Pin PUL front and back panels, fabric sides together. Stitch two long sides and bottom of bag together with a 1/2" seam allowance. Trim corners diagonally, then trim seam to 1/4".
- Turn bag right side out. Using a pressing cloth, from front of bag, lightly press at sides and bottom to flatten bag.
- Pin two lining pieces of PUL, fabric sides together. Stitch two long sides and bottom with 1/2" seam. Trim corners diagonally.
- For Straps: Using 4" x 18" PUL strip, fold up one long edge 1/2" toward laminate side of PUL then press. Be careful to use only the tip of the iron at the fold of PUL. DO NOT ALLOW IRON TO TOUCH LAMINATE SIDE OF PUL when pressing. Fold opposite long edge over 1-1/4" to laminate side then press on fold only. Fold over previously pressed folded edge to within 1/4" of opposite folded edge. Press strap flat.
- Topstitch along lapped fold to secure, then topstitch on opposite fold edge. Repeat for second strap.
- For strap placement: Measure 2-1/2" from front left side seam; mark top edge of bag. Repeat from right side seam. Repeat on back panel of bag.
- On front of bag, pin strap at mark, aligning raw edge of strap with raw edge of bag. Smooth side of strap should face bag. Pin other end of strap at next mark. Stitch strap to bag 1/4 from raw edge, backstitch at beginning and end of stitching to reinforce.
- Pin strap to back panel of bag then stitch as in Step 13.
- Slide bag into lining, fabric sides together. Pin lining along top edge of bag aligning side seams.
- Leave area between back straps open for turning. Start stitching at back strap, then stitch all around top of bag using a 1/2" seam allowance, ending stitching at opposite back strap.
- Trim seam allowance to 3/8". Turn bag to right side through unstitched opening. Tuck and align lining inside bag. Press top seam of bag gently to flatten, making sure opening seams are turned to inside. Topstitch around top of bag 1/4" from edge, making sure to stitch opening closed.