How To Make A Crochet Patriotic Scrubby Pattern
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Red Heart® Scrubby™, 1 ball each: Cherry A, Coconut B, Royal C
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 13 dc = 4" [10 cm] in double crochet. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- STAR CENTER: With A, ch 4, slip st in first ch to form ring.
- Row 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), work 9 dc in ring, slip st in top of beginning ch-3 to join – 10 dc.
- Row 2: Change to B, ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in next st, ch 1, [2 dc in next 2 sts, ch 1] 4 times – 20 dc and 5 ch-1 space.
- Row 3: Turn, slip st in ch-1 space, ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1 here and throughout), dc in same space, dc in next 4 sts, [(dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch-1 space, dc in next 4 sts] 4 times, slip st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-4 – 30 dc and 5 ch-1 space.
- Fasten off.
- Shape First Star Point: Row 1: Join C to any ch-1 space, ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, dc in next ch-1 space, leave remaining sts unworked – 8 dc.
- Row 2: Ch 3, turn, skip next st, dc in next 4 dc, skip next st, dc in last dc – 6 dc.
- Row 3: Ch 3, turn, skip next st, dc in next 2 dc, skip next st, dc in last dc – 4 dc.
- Row 4: Ch 2, turn, dc2tog, hdc in last st.
- Fasten off.
- Hanging Loop: With B, ch 10, slip st in first ch to form ring.
- Row 1: Ch 1, work 10 sc in ring, slip st in first sc to join.
- Fasten off, leaving a long tail.
- Using long tail, sew Hanging Loop to tip of any Star Point.
- Weave in ends.
- SPECIAL ABBREVIATIONS:
- dc2tog: [Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up loop, yarn over, draw through 2 loops] 2 times, yarn over, draw through all loops on hook
- A, B, C = Color A, B, C
- ch = chain
- cm = centimeters
- dc = double crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- mm = millimeters
- sc = single crochet
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- tog = together
- [ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified
Shape Second-Fifth Star Points: Join C in second ch-1 space of previous point, repeat Rows 1-4 of First Star Point.