How to Make a Fairytale Headband and Wand
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Lion Brand® Vanna’s Glamour®: Topaz, 1 ball (A) or color of choice
- Lion Brand® Bonbons®: Celebrate, 1 package (B) or color of choice
- Lion Brand® crochet hook size E-4 (3.5 mm)
- Lion Brand® large-eyed blunt needle
- Plastic canvas precut star shapes, about 3 1/2" (9 cm) across (2)
- Wood dowel, 3/8" (10 mm) diameter, 18" (45.5 cm) long
- Purchased fabric-covered headband
- Assorted sew or glue on beads & jewels, as desired
- Craft glue
- Sewing needle & thread
- Tape measure
- Wand About 22" (56 cm) long
- To print the templates and charts, click on the "Download Project PDF" button.
- Precut plastic canvas stars are embroidered, then sewn together and glued to Wand.
- Embroidery is worked with simple stitches. Follow the stitch guide for how to work the stitches and follow the chart for stitch placement and yarn colors.
- Headband is wrapped with yarn and finished with cord and embellishments. Use yarn colors as desired.
- Stars (make 2)
- Use a doubled strand of yarn threaded into blunt needle for embroidery.
- Leave the border thread around the outside edge of the star unworked.
- Colors for B yarns
- Pink (C)
- Purple (D)
- Green (E)
- With C and following chart, work cross stitches over the 5 threads between star segments.
- Row 1: With A and following chart, work straight stitches over 2 intersecting threads.
- Row 2: With A and following chart, work straight stitches over the next 2 intersecting threads.
- Row 3: With A and following chart, work straight stitches over the remaining intersections.
- Cut 3 strands of B yarn in colors as desired, each length about 3 yds. (3 m) long. Hold 3 strands together and glue ends to one end of dowel, about 2" (5 cm) from dowel end. Wrap strands around to opposite end of dowel then trim ends and glue to dowel.
- Hold the 2 stars with wrong sides together. With a double strand of D threaded into blunt needle, work overcast stitch around outside edge through both stars, leaving a small opening at one inside corner for handle.
- Apply glue to unwrapped end of dowel and insert into opening on star.
- With crochet hook and B yarn in color as desired, chain for about 18" (45.5 cm). Fasten off and cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail.
- Thread yarn tail into blunt needle, then draw needle through edge of star. Knot, then draw needle through to inside of star and back out. Trim yarn end of yarn tail.
- Make and attach 4 more streamers, varying the lengths from 10"to 18" (25.5 to 45.5 cm).
- Sew or glue beads and jewels to Wand as desired.
- Glue one end of B yarn in color as desired to one end of Headband. Wrap yarn around until you reach the opposite end of the headband. Trim excess yarn, then glue end to Headband.
- Twisted Cord
- Cut a 5 yd. (5 m) length of A. Fold length in half and knot about 1" (2.5 cm) from each end. Slip one end over a doorknob and slip a pencil or chop stick through the other end. Turn the pencil to twist the strands clockwise until they are tightly twisted. Keeping the strands taut, fold the piece in half, remove the pencil and allow the cord to twist on itself.
- Glue or sew on beads and sequins as desired.
Note: For Rows 1-3, the first and last stitches of each row are worked over only 1 intersection of threads.
Fold twisted cord in half. Glue the center of the cord to the inside of one end of Headband. Wrap cord around Headband, crossing the cord ends as you wrap. Glue end of cord to Headband.
Items in This Collection
Item # 1679992
Available for U.S. Shipping Only
Item # xprd1144577
Available for U.S. Shipping Only