How To Make A Fancy Stitched Quilted Zipper Pouch
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Coats Dual Duty XP® All-purpose thread
- Coats® Polyester Embroidery thread
- Coats Dual Duty Plus® Button & Craft thread
- Coats® Polyester All-purpose zipper, 9"
- 1/3 yd fashion fabric
- 1/3 yd lining fabric
- 1/3 yd batting
- 2 flat buttons, 1" diameter
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Serger (optional)
- Iron & pressing surface
- From the fashion fabric, lining and batting, cut two rectangles 10" x 8".
- Layer the lining, batting and fashion fabric wrong sides together.
- Following the fabric design or using a quilting guide, quilt the layers together using all-purpose or embroidery thread. Repeat for the second rectangle.
- Serge- or zig-zag-finish the rectangle edges.
- With the zipper right side up, center and pin the zipper on top of the rectangle short edges overlapping the finished fabric edge 1/8"-1/4".
- Select a decorative stitch on the machine and, using embroidery thread, stitch along both zipper tape edges. Slide the zipper pull out of the way as needed.
- On each lower rectangle corner, cut out a 1" x 1" square.
- Fold the rectangles right sides together and using a 1/4" seam, stitch the sides and bottom edges together, sewing carefully over the zipper area. Press the seams open. Trim any excess zipper tape length.
- To box the corners, fold the bottom seam directly on top of the side seam. Sew across the corner using a 1/4" seam.
- Turn the bag right side out and gently poke out the corners.
- Sandwich the zipper tab between the two buttons and using multiple strands of Button & Craft thread, sew the buttons in place, tying the ends.