How To Make A Flower Pot Cover
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Dual Duty XP All Purpose Thread
- 1/2 yd solid color heavy weight fabric, planter
- 1/2 yd print cotton fabric, lining
- 1-1/4 yd medium weight craft interfacing,
- 1/2 yd 20 gauge clear vinyl
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & pressing surface All seam allowances are 1/2".
Finished Size: 8" h x 8" diameter, fits 8" pot
- Cutting: Cut one 11-1/2" x 28-1/4" rectangle and 9" circle from planter and lining fabric.
- Vinyl: Cut one 7" x 27-3/4" rectangle and 9" circle.
- Fuse interfacing to wrong side of lining (print) rectangle for planter and wrong side outer (solid) fabric for bottom circle.
- Stitch one long side of outer fabric rectangle to long side lining rectangle right sides together. Trim seam to 1/4 " and press seam down toward lining. Open out fabric and lining.
- With main fabric and lining opened out, pin right sides of main fabric and lining together matching seam at side. Stitch, forming a tube. Trim lining seam allowance only to 1/4 ". Press seam open and fold lining and outer fabric at seam line wrong sides together.
- Using a long stitch, baste bottom edges of lining to main fabric wrong sides together 3/8" (from edge, matching up side seam. Clip to basting stitches approximately every 1-1/2".
- Place main fabric circle right side down. Place lining fabric circle right side up and clear vinyl on top. Pin around the outside edge within the seam allowance so there will not be any needle holes showing in the vinyl. Baste around outside edge 3/8" from edge.
- Pin main body of planter to circle with right sides together. Stitch seam on top of main body lining to get a smooth seam with no puckers in the fabric as it is attached to circle. Trim seam to 1/4".
- Fold the vinyl rectangle in half with shorter sides matching. Do not pin. Stitch sides together and finger press seam open. Stitch each seam allowance down 1/4" from the seam. Insert sleeve into planter with seam facing planter. Fold down top of planter on outside to make a cuff with top edge slightly above vinyl sleeve.