How To Make A "Slipper" Dog Bed with Removeable Top
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fleece fabric:
- Light green (2 yds)
- Medium green (1 yd)
- Paw print (1 yd)
- Rigilene (1 yd)
- Wrights® 12/32 Polyester Filler Cord (1 pkg)
- Sew-on Velcro® in 3/4" black (1 pkg)
- Basic sewing supplies
- Seam allowance for all instructions is 1/2".
- If wishing to make stripes, create "stripe fabric" using both light and medium greens. Cut 5" strips, and sew together length-wise to create fabric piece large enough to fit slipper top pattern piece onto.
- Using pattern, cut 1 slipper bottom each out of medium green and paw print, and 1 slipper top each out of stripe and paw print. Cut 1 56"x6" and 2 16"x20" rectangles out of light green fabric.
- Using piping and 2" strip of light green fleece, create enough piping to go around the inner lip of the top slipper piece.
- Stitch piping to inside lip of top slipper piece. Stitch in the ditch rigilene to inside of first and third seams between stripes.
- With wrong sides together, stitch both striped and paw print slipper tops together, leaving "lip" section open. Understitch seam onto paw print side, and turn all seams to the inside. Stuff with Poly-Fil, then stitch in the ditch between each stripe seam, to lightly quilt top of slipper. Leave "lip" edge of paw print fabric free.
- Turn up edge of paw print fabric 1/2" and slip stitch "lip" of slipper closed, finishing the top of the slipper.
- Fold each small end of the 56"x6" rectangle in half, and stitch in just 1/2" from edge toward the fold. Turn piece, so small stitched portions are to the inside. Flat long edges together, and sew (with right sides together) to paw print slipper bottom.
- With right sides together, stitch light green and paw print slipper bottoms together, leaving hole for turning. Stuff with Poly-Fil, then slip stitch hole closed.
- Quilt slipper bottom in 1 1/2" portions if desired.
- Stuff light green rectangle attached to slipper bottom with Poly-Fil and slip stitch side openings closed.
- Place top of slipper onto bottom, and mark placement for Velcro®. Hand stitch Velcro® pieces to tops and bottoms of slipper.
- With right sides together, sew 16"x20" green rectangles together, leaving small hole for turning. Stuff with Poly-Fil, and slip stitch opening closed.