How To Make A MLS Soccer Ball Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1-1/4 yds. MLS Cotton Fabric & Lining
- 3/4 yds. heavy large hole cotton mesh
- 1/2" grommets (2)
- 4 yds. 1/4" cotton cording
- 1 – cord stop
- 1-1/2 yds. – 1” – belting – cut in two pieces – 1 yd. & 1/2 yd.
- 1" side-release buckle
- Sewing machine
- Quilter's ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
DIRECTIONS:Finished size: 18" x 33"
- 1/2" seam allowance included in all measurements.
- Bag Base – 19" x 19" square – 1 fabric & 1 lining
- Bottom Band – 37" x 9" – 2 fabric & 2 lining
- Front & Back Bands – 8-1/4" x 25" – 2 fabric & 2 lining
- Top Band – 37" x 4" – 2 fabric
- Bag Sides – 31" x 25" – 2 mesh
- Sandwich on piece of mesh along the 25" side between the front band and the lining with fabrics right sides together. Line up all the raw edges. Stitch the 3 pieces together.
- Repeat with the opposite side of the mesh and the back band.
- Baste the second piece of mesh to the right side of the front band on the raw edge.
- Roll the bag up to the inside until the lining side of the front band is lined up with the pieces just basted together. The right sides of the fabric should be together with the mesh sandwiched in between. Stitch together and turn right side out.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the back band. Turn right side out when finished. The raw edges of the mesh is now enclosed in the bands
- Stitch the short edges of the bottom band together, forming a circle. Repeat with the lining.
- Mark the bottom center of the front and back band. Mark the center of the mesh along the bottom. Mark the center of the front and back of the bottom band on both the top and bottom edges.
- Baste the bottom band to the right side of the bottom of the bag, lining up the center marks and having the side seams of the bottom band lined up with the center sides of the mesh. Place the lining on the inside having raw edges together sandwiching the lower edges of the bag between the bottom band and the lining. Stitch around the lower edge of the bag.
- Pull the bottom bands down and baste the raw edges together.
- Stitch the 1 yd. of the belting to the right side of the center back of the bag.
- Mark the centers of all 4 sides of the bag base and lining. With right sides together, line up the center marks of the bag and bag base and stitch together.
- Keep the bag wrong side out and pin the base lining over the bag, lining up the raw edges of the base and base lining. Stitch together on all 4 sides leaving a 7" opening on one side. Turn the whole bag through the opening and turn the bag right side out. Hand stitch the opening closed.
- Stitch the 1/2 yd. piece of belting to the right side of the center back of the bag top.
- Stitch the top band pieces together along the short sides forming a circle. Press 1/2" along both edges. Find the center of the front of the band. Mark 1" on each side and place the grommets on the marks.
- Pin the folded edge that does not have the grommets right side to the inside of the bag and stitch in place. Fold the band over to the front and stitch in place.
- Using a safety pin string the cord through the top band entering in one grommet and coming out the other. Place the cord stop on the cords.
- Stitch one end of the buckle to the top belting. Stitch the other end of the buckle to the bottom belting.