How To Make A Pet Soldier Uniform Costume
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Babyville Boutique PUL camouflage fabric – 2/3 yd.
- Stay-Dri™ wicking fabric - 27" x 30"
- EZ Adjust Tabs – 2 sets of brown
- Scrap of yellow PUL fabric
- Dritz® Black FOE (fold over elastic)
- Simplicity® Pattern 1031, view B
- Using pattern, cut out soldier dog costume from PUL fabric, and cut lining from wicking fabric.
- To make stripes for uniform, from 4 pieces of yellow PUL, 1/2" x 1-1/2" each.
- On right side of PUL, pin 2 each of yellow stripes on shoulders. (see photo for placement) Zigzag stitch in place.
- Position lining to PUL, right sides together, stitch with 3/8" seam allowance, leaving an opening to turn.
- Clip curves, trim seams, turn to right side. Fold opening seam to inside, pin together and topstitch all around outer edge of costume.
- Pin and stitch one each hook and loop tabs to front extensions of costume and repeat for belly extensions.
- For beret, cut 8-1/2" circle from PUL. Encase raw edge in FOE, stitching with zigzag stitch and stretching as you stitch. Measure dog’s head from side to side to determine chin length of FOE. Stitch ends of FOE to beret for chinstrap. If desired, cut hole in beret to fit over one ear.