How To Make A Pompom Bookmark
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Red Heart® Super Saver®, 1 skein each: Turqua, Grey Heather, Bonbon Print
- Measuring tape
- Dinner fork or large salad fork
- Small scissors that will cut yarn
- Cut 2 pieces of yarn, each 36" (91.4 cm) long. Be careful not to pull the yarn tight or the pieces will be too short.
- Place the center of the 2 pieces of yarn in between the center of the fork points, so that half is in front of the fork, and half is in back.
- Pull a lot of yarn out of the skein. Take the end of the yarn that is still attached to the skein and place it through the same spot in the fork, letting the end hang down as long as the other ends.
- Hold onto your fork with one hand, holding all the yarn ends (there are 5) as well. The yarn that is still attached to the skein should not be in your hand. Take that yarn and wrap it around the fork 30 to 50 times.
- Cut the end of the yarn so that it is as long as the rest of the ends.
- Take the ends of the yarn (there are 3 in front of the fork and 3 in back) and tie them very tightly around the wrapped yarn on the fork. Ask a grown-up to help get the knot tight. Then slide the yarn off the fork.
- To make the pompom, hold onto the 6 long ends of yarn, and cut through all the loops, being careful not to cut the 6 long ends. If a little puff would be better instead of a pompom, then don’t cut the loops.
- Trim the pompom to make it even.
- Place the pompom in the clip of a clipboard, or have a friend hold it. Holding 2 pieces of yarn for each strand, braid the ends together. When the ends have been braided, tie a knot in the end and trim.