SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Red Heart® Soft Baby Steps®: 1 (1, 1) ball Lavender
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 4.25mm [US G-6]
- Yarn needle
- 1 yd 1/8"-1/4" (3mm-6.5mm) wide ribbon
GAUGE: 16 hdc = 4" (10 cm); 10 rows = 4" (10 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- Leg warmer is made in 2 sections: ribbed cuff worked in rows and leg worked in joined rounds.
- To determine the best fit, measure the wearer’s mid-calf while in a standing position and make the size that is 1-2" (2.5 - 5 cm) smaller than the calf measurement. Leg warmer is intended to stretch and fit snugly but comfortably around the calf.
Directions are for size Small (2-3 years). Changes for sizes Medium (4-7 years) and Large (8-10 years) are in parentheses.
Leg warmer measures 7-1/2 (8-1/2, 9-1/2)" [19 (21.5, 24) cm] in circumference x 10 (11-1/2½, 12)" [25.5 (29, 30.5)cm] long.
- LEG WARMER (make 2)
- Ribbed Cuff: Ch 9.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn—8 sc.
- Rows 2–28 (32, 36): Ch 1, working in back loops only, sc in each st across, turn.
- Joining row: Holding first and last rows together and working through both thicknesses, slip st in each st across. Turn cuff so seam is on inner side.
- Leg: Round 1 (right side): Ch 2 (does not count as a st here and throughout), working across top edge in ends of rows, 2 hdc in first row, [skip next row, 2 hdc in next row] 13 (15, 17) times, skip last row; join with slip st in first hdc—28 (32, 36) hdc.
- Rounds 2–17 (20, 23): Ch 2, 2 hdc in space between first 2 hdc, 2 hdc in space between next 2 hdc; repeat from * around; join with slip st in first hdc.
- Round 18 (21, 24): Ch 3 (counts as hdc, ch 1), skip next st, hdc in next st, *ch 1, skip next st, hdc in next st; repeat from * around, ch 1, skip last st; join with slip st in 2nd ch of beginning ch—14 (16, 18) hdc and 14 (16, 18) ch-1 spaces.
- Round 19 (22, 25): Ch 1, 2 sc in each ch-1 space around; join with slip st in first hdc—28 (32, 36) sc.
- Round 20 (23, 26): Ch 1, sc in each st around; join with slip st in first hdc. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- Cut ribbon in 2 pieces each measuring 18" (45.5 cm). Weave ribbon through ch-1 spaces of Round 18 (21, 24) of each leg warmer and tie in a bow.
- ch = chain(s)
- hdc = half double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- ( ) = work directions in parentheses in same st
- [ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified
- * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated