How To Make Recycled Flower Pot Buddies
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- FolkArt® Multi Surface Paint: Wicker White, Fresh Cut Grass, Citrus Green, Daffodil Yellow, Cayman Blue, Apple Red, Licorice
- Terra Cotta Pots sized 5", 4", 3"
- Fabric-Quarters Cotton: Coral, Lime, Lt Yellow
- Paintbrushes, 1" flat, 1/4" flat, liner brush
- 3 pcs of Styrofoam®
- Brown felt
- Green jersey fabric
- Embroidery floss & needle
- 3 craft sticks
- 3 small buttons
- Craft glue
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Paint a flower pot in each of the three colors – Fresh Cut Grass, Apple Red and Cayman Blue. Allow to dry.
- Draw simple circle eyes on the fronts of each pot. Paint Wicker White. Paint a smile in a contrasting color. Allow to dry.
- Arrange your pots and draw the half-moon pupils in different directions on each pot’s white painted circles. Paint in pupils with Licorice. Allow to dry.
- Glue a button nose on each pot.
- Cut the Styrofoam® to fit in the bottom of each pot. Glue in place. Cut a round piece of brown felt for the “dirt”, cut a 1" slit in the center and then glue in place.
- To make grass: cut (10) 12"L x 1"W strips of jersey (t-shirt fabric). Pull fabric lengthwise to curl on itself. Cut into 3" pieces. Place craft stick at center of piece and poke into Styrofoam®. Repeat until “grass” fills the pot.
- Cut (2) 4" square pieces of Lavender fabric, (2) 4" x 9" pieces of Lime fabric, and (2) 4" x 7" pieces of Coral fabric.
- Tape a 1/2" in on one of the 4" square pieces, one of the 4" x 9" pieces and one of the 4" x 7" pieces to a protected surface. Draw a simple plant shape on each piece of fabric. Fill the fabric space.
- Paint the drawing in with your acrylic paints. After the pieces are painted, remove from the surface and hang in to dry.
- Remove the tape and lay the similar color fabric pieces together. Stitch a simple running stitch all the way around the painted edge of each plant. Leave the bottom open.
- Stuff the plant with stuffing and insert a wooden craft stick with 1-1/2" sticking out of the bottom.
- Stitch or glue the bottom closed. Trim off the excess fabric.
- Push each prepared plant into the Styrofoam® base of choice.