How To Make Zipper Animal Containers
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Coats® Polyester All-purpose zippers, 12" or longer
- Plastic bottles – (1 liter works well)
- Felt, assorted colors
- Wiggle eyes
- Spray paint
- Stiff cardboard, 3" x 3" (owl)
- Pink chenille stem (pig)
- Masking tape
- Craft knife
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Preparing Bottles: Each animal requires two bottles. Remove labels, clean, and dry plastic bottles. Using a craft knife, cut around the equator of the bottle. Use scissors to create a smooth cut at the desired height around the edge of the plastic bottle bottom. See specific animal instructions below.
- Use masking tape to tape around the outside edge of the plastic bottle bottom to protect from spray paint. Use plastic-friendly spray paint as directed to paint the inside of the plastic bottle bottom; remove masking tape when dry.
- Hot glue the zipper, starting from the end with the zipper pull, around the lip of the bottle. Open the zipper and hot glue to the lip of the second bottle. Trim away any excess zipper.
- Embellish with felt and wiggle eyes to create animals as follows:
To print the patterns for all three animals, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
Pig: Prepare 2 bottle bottoms. Cut nose and ears from pink felt according to pattern. To create the pig, use a stiff backing behind the material for the nose to give dimension and add a curled chenille stem tail to the back.
Owl: To make the owl, use a plastic bottle top and a bottom (instead of 2 bottoms) to create the owl shape. Cut the feet, eyes, beak, face and ears according to the pattern. Make sure to glue the wings on above the zipper so that the zipper can still be opened. Use a stiff base (stiff felt or cardboard) for the feet.
Frog: Prepare 2 bottle bottoms. To create the frog, cut an asymmetrical line around the plastic bottle bottoms so that the front of the frog is taller than the back. Also, roll up a small strip of felt to create a tongue. Add two black dots of felt for nose and felt according to pattern for the eyes.