Hung With Care Christmas Tree
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 5 embroidery hoops: 6”, 9”, 14”, 18”, 23”
- Clear beading thread/cording
- White acrylic paint
- 150 green shatterproof ornaments in various finishes
- 1 gold shatterproof ornament
- 5-10 clear plastic ornaments (the kind that opens in half)
- Plastic LED lights
- Translucent paint: red, green, white
- Scrapbook paper
- Craft glue or duct tape
1. Separate and paint embroidery hoops white. Paint yardstick white. Allow to dry.
2. Determine the desired height of finished tree planning out measurements according to where the ornaments will hang. The shortest lengths of thread and ornaments are hung from the smallest embroidery hoop, the longest hung from the largest embroidery hoop. The tree shown is hung at 13”, 18”, 23”, 28”, 33”.
3. Cut clear thread, using the above measurements plus 2” extra for tying and knotting to the hoop and the ornament.
4. Construct clear ornaments. Paint a confetti dot design on the outside of the ornament using translucent paint. Hang an LED light from the inside of the ornament using clear thread or create a paper tag noting a gift wish and place inside clear ornament.
5. Starting with the smallest embroidery hoop, tie green and clear painted ornaments all the way around embroidery hoop at the same height. Trim any excess thread. Repeat for the remaining hoops, using the appropriate length of thread for each hoop.
6. For a fuller tree design, hang a second row of ornaments at a slightly shorter height on each hoop.
7. Starting with the smallest hoop, secure hoop to the yardstick with the clear thread.
8. Secure the next larger size hoop around smaller hoop to the yardstick with clear thread. Repeat with the remaining hoops so that each circle surrounds the previous to construct tree with layers of ornaments.
9. Gently shift each hoop as needed to create a uniform shape.
10. Fill in any empty spots with additional ornaments.
11. Hang gold ornament from the middle of the yardstick at the top of the tree.
12. For a more permanent hold, secure hoops to yardstick with craft glue or duct tape.