ICE CREAM PARK SLOPE HEXAGON AFGHAN
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Lion Brand® Ice Cream, 1 ball each: Lemon Swirl (A), Blueberry (B), Cool Mint (C), Tropical (D) or colors of choice
- Lion Brand® crochet hook size F-5 (3.75 mm)
- Lion Brand® large-eyed blunt needle
- About 25" x 39" (63.5 x 99 cm)
- 1 Hexagon = about 5-1/2" (14 cm) across, measured from side to side.
- 1 Hexagon = about 6 in. (15 cm), measured diagonally from corner to corner.
- BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
- STITCH EXPLANATIONS:
- dc2tog (dc 2 sts together) (Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops) twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook – 1 st decreased.
- sc2tog (sc 2 sts together) (Insert hook in next st and draw up a loop) twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook – 1 st decreased.
- 33 Hexagons are crocheted separately, then sewn or crocheted tog following a diagram to make the Afghan.
- Ice Cream is a self-striping yarn. Each Hexagon will be uniquely striped.
- (make 33 – 12 with A, 11 with B, and 10 with C)
- Ch 5; join with a sl st in first ch to make a ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 5 (counts as dc, ch 2), 3 dc in ring, (ch 2, 3 dc in ring) 4 times, ch 2, 2 dc in ring; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – you will have six 3-dc groups and 6 ch-2 sps at the end of this rnd.
- Rnd 2: Sl st in first ch-2 sp, ch 5 (counts as dc, ch 2), dc in same ch-2 sp, *dc in each dc to next ch-2 sp, (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp for corner; rep from * 4 more times, dc in each dc to end of rnd; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 30 dc and 6 corner ch-2 sps (5 dc on each of 6 sides between corner ch-2 sps).
- Rnds 3-5: Rep Rnd 2 three more times – 66 dc and 6 corner ch-2 sps (11 dc on each of 6 sides between corner ch-2 sps) at the end of Rnd 5.
- Fasten off.
- With D, and following diagram, join Hexagons to make Afghan. Hexagons can be joined by sewing or crocheting tog. To crochet edges of 2 Hexagons tog, hold the Hexagons with WS tog. Working through both thicknesses, join D with a sl st in first corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 sc in same sp, *sc in each sc across to next corner ch-2 sp, 3 sc in corner ch-2 sp; rep from * to join edges of next Hexagons tog, fastening off and rejoining D as needed.
- From RS, join D with a sl st in a corner so that you are ready to work across a long side edge of Afghan.
- Rnd 1: *Sc in each st across long side edge working 3 sc in each outer corner and sc2tog in each inner corner, work across short edge in same manner EXCEPT work dc2tog in each inner corner and dc in each st between inner corners; rep from * once more to work across next long edge and final short edge; join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, then rep Rnd 1.
- Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
- beg = begin(ning)
- ch = chain
- ch-sp(s) = chain space(s) previously made
- dc = double crochet
- rep = repeat
- rnd(s) = round(s)
- RS = right side
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- sp(s) = space(s)
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- tog = together
- WS = wrong side