SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Sculpey® III Plum
- Sculpey® III Copper
- Sculpey® III Black
- Sculpey® Clay Conditioning Machine
- Sculpey® Clay Extrude
- Sculpey® Acrylic Roller
- Sculpey® Super Slicer
- Waxed paper
- Black elastic cord
- Super glue
Do not use unbaked clay on unprotected furniture or finished surfaces. Start with clean hands and work surface area. Good work surfaces include wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. For best results, clean your hands in between colors. Shape clay, pressing pieces together firmly. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275° for 15 minutes per 1/4" thickness. For best baking results, use an oven thermometer. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT EXCEED THE ABOVE TEMPERATURE OR RECOMMENDED BAKING TIME. Wash hands after use. Baking should be completed by an adult.
Begin by preheating oven to 275°. Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay. For best results, condition all clay by running it through the Clay Conditioning Machine several passes on the widest setting. Fold the clay in half after each pass and insert the fold side into the rollers first.
1. Make black strips 1/8" thick or thickest machine setting: one 3" x 8", three 3/4" x 8". Place 3" strip on waxed paper. Place one 3/4" strip down center length of 3" strip. Place two 3/4" strips on either side of center strip, leaving 1/8" space (this created channels for the elastic cord). Trim long edges so strip is 2" wide, centering the center strip. Taper long edges. Set aside.
2. With Clay Extruder fitted with square insert, extrude six 6" long logs of Plum and six 6" long logs of Copper. Make 6 x 6 squares checkerboard cane. Turn on point and press into football shape. Place on waxed paper. Flatten with roller. Roll through pasta machine on thickest setting. Cut strip in half and stack. Cut stack in half and stack again. Roll smooth without reducing. Set aside.
3. Using Clay Conditioning Machine at #4 setting, make plum strip 2-1/2" x 8". Cut thin slices from Ikat fabric cane and lay on plum strip. When strip is covered, lay waxed paper over strip and burnish until layer is flat. Lay patterned strip over black strip, channels side up, and press lightly to adhere to the three ridges. Trim long edges. Gently roll long edges with fingertips. Cut strip into 1/2" wide pieces. Bake as directed. Allow to cool completely.
4. String elastic cord through the two channels. Tie knots. Glue knots and trim ends.