In the Garden Quilt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 7/8 yard each of five coordinating fabrics for solid blocks, four-patch blocks, setting triangles and corner triangles
- 1 yard fabric for sashing
- 1/8 yard fabric for cornerstones
- 1/2 yard fabric for borders
- 1/2 yard fabric for binding
- One 64"x76" rectangle of batting
- 4 yards fabric for backing
- Basic sewing/quilting supplies
- Sewing machine
Notes: 1/4" seam allowance used throughout
WOF = width of fabric
Use of a design wall is recommended
Size of Quilt: 56"x68"
1. From each of the five coordinating fabrics, cut three 4-1/2" x WOF strips. Sub cut each strip into 4-1/2" squares. (A total of ninety-six 4-1/2" squares is needed.) With right sides together, stitch two squares together. Press seam allowance toward one side. Make forty-eight. Stitch two pair units together to make a four-patch block. Make twenty-four blocks.
2. Cut two 8-1/2" squares from each of the five coordinating fabrics. (A total of eight 8-1/2" squares is needed.)
3. To determine placement, place 8-1/2" squares and four-patch blocks on design wall in alternating rows of four and three. Make four 4-block rows and three 3-block rows. Turn the blocks to an “on-point" set. (Note that the solid blocks and 4-patch blocks are set on point in diagonal rows.)
4. Cut one 13-1/2" square from each of the five coordinating fabrics. Cut each square in half diagonally and then in half diagonally again for setting triangles. Fourteen triangles needed.) Place triangles as desired at the end of each row.
5. Cut two 7-1/4" squares as desired for corners. Cut each square in half diagonally. Place one triangle at each corner.
6. From sashing fabric, cut four 8-1/2" x WOF strips. Sub-cut each strip into 1-1/2"x8-1/2" strips. (Eighty strips needed.)
7. Alternating triangles, 1-1/2" strips and 8-1/2" blocks, stitch each row together. Press seam allowances towards sashing.
8. Cut two 1-1/2" x WOF strips from cornerstone fabric. Sub-cut into forty-nine 1-1/2" squares.
9. Place sashing strips and cornerstones on design wall, alternating with stitched rows. Stitch each sashing strips and cornerstones row together. Press seam allowances towards sashing.
10. Stitch diagonal rows together.
11. Square up the sides of the pieced unit. Remember to allow for a 1/4" seam allowance around all edges. (Triangles were cut slightly larger to allow for seam allowance variances.)
12. Cut seven 2-1/2" x WOF strips for borders. Stitch short ends together. Measure across center of pieced unit from side to side. Cut two border pieces to that measurement. Stitch to the top and the bottom of the pieced unit. Press seam allowances toward border. Repeat for side borders.
13. Piece back as needed to make a 64"x76" rectangle.
14. Layer quilt top, batting and backing. Quilt as desired. Trim raw edges even with quilt edge.
15. Cut seven 2-1/2" x WOF strips for binding. Stitch short ends together. Press with wrong sides together and long edges even. Stitch binding to right side of quilt. Turn to back and whipstitch in place.