Independence Day Centerpieces
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Styrofoam™ brand foam:
Three 3" cubes
One 1"x12"x36" sheet
- 5-10 blue hydrangeas stems
- 15 white rose stems
- 3 yds 1½" wide red & white ribbon
- 3 yds 5/8" wide blue ribbon
- Acrylic paint: red, white, blue & silver
- Straight pins
- Serrated knife
- Low-temperature glue gun & glue sticks
- Black marker
1. Cut six 13" lengths of red & white ribbon. Glue two pieces of ribbon around the sides of each cube to cover. Glue one piece at the top and one at the bottom, slightly overlapping where they meet. The other sides of the cube will be left bare.
2. Pull the hydrangea blossoms from the stems and glue a blossom into the top of each cube. Cut the small roses from the stems and glue four or five roses into each hydrangea blossom.
3. Make three small bows using the blue ribbon and glue one to the front of each cube.
4. To make the stars: Draw various sizes of stars onto cardstock and cut out. Pin the cardstock stars onto the foam sheet and cut out using the serrated knife. Use the scrap pieces of foam as sanding blocks to sand the edges of the stars smooth. Paint the stars with the acrylic paints and let dry. Pin blue ribbon around the outside edge of three larger stars and use as the base for the cubes.