Infinite Shells Cowl
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Red Heart® Soft®: 1 ball, Off White
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
- Tape measure
- GAUGE: 6 shells and 2 double crochet = 8" (20.5 cm); 3 rows = 2" (5 cm) in pattern. 3 rows for gauge measurement consist of 2 repeats of Row 3 with one Row 2 between.
- Gauge is not critical for this project.
- Special Stitch
- shell = 5 dc in indicated stitch.
- Scarf measures 8" x 40" (20.5 x 101.5 cm)
- Ch 34.
- Row 1 (right side): Shell in 6th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as first dc, ch 2), *skip next 4 ch, shell in next ch; repeat from * to last 3 ch, skip next 2 ch, dc in last ch, turn—6 shells and 2 dc.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first dc, ch 5, skip next shell, sc in space between shell just skipped and next shell, *ch 5, sc in space between next 2 shells; repeat from * to last shell, ch 5, skip last shell, sc in 3rd ch of beginning ch, turn—7 sc and 6 ch-5 spaces.
- Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), skip first sc and first 2 ch, *shell in next ch, skip next 2 ch, skip next sc, skip next 2 ch; repeat from * 5 times, skip last 2 ch, dc in last sc, turn—6 shells and 2 dc.
- Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until cowl measures 39" (99 cm).
- Last Row (wrong side): Ch 3, (dc in first dc, hdc in next dc, sc in next dc, hdc in next dc, dc in last dc) in each shell, dc in top of beginning ch, turn. Do not fasten off.
- With right sides of short ends held together and working through both thicknesses, slip st in each st across.
- Weave in ends.
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- sp(s) = space(s)
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated