1. Sketch clouds or any shape desired onto cardboard. Use opaque stencils or anything that will cast a shadow. Use a cereal box or other recycled cardboard for this; avoid regular paper since it might let light through and it will curl more easily if it gets damp.
2. Cut out the clouds or shape of choice.
3. Place the fabric onto work surface. Tape or pin the edges of the fabric to keep it in place while rolling on Inkodye™. The work surface can be a piece of cardboard or foam core.
4. Shake the Inkodye bottle. Make sure the cap is securely on. Itʼs fine to use it straight from the bottle, but itʼs very concentrated so if desired mix it with water to stretch it. Use a 1:1 ratio of dye to water, and colors will still be vibrant.
5. Screw Inkocap Roller onto bottle of Inkodye™.
6. Roll the Inkodye evenly over the surface of the fabric in a dim room away from direct sunlight.
7. Blot Inkodye™ with paper towels to soak up any excess. This is a very important step. The goal is to fully saturate the fabric but not to make it too wet. It should feel barely damp. If the fabric is too wet the print might turn out splotchy or blurry and the cardboard shapes will curl up.
8. Arrange the cloud cutouts over the fabric. Keep them in place with a small weighted object, small stack of pennies for example, or push pins. Alternatively, a piece of glass or clear acrylic can be used to hold cutouts down.
9. Carry the project into a sunny area, and expose your project to direct sunlight for 12 minutes while the Inkodye® develops. Inkodye™ is UV sensitive, so it will still expose on a cloudy day but it is necessary to leave it out for twice as long. Midday sun is the best.
10. Bring the project back inside into a dim area and peel the cardboard clouds away to reveal the print. Once exposed to sunlight, Inkodye will begin turning color within seconds, and the print is still light sensitive so keep it in a dark area until after washing it. Resist the urge to peek immediately.
11. Wash the print twice on the HOT/COLD cycle of a washing machine using Inkowash detergent. Inkowash is made to remove excess unexposed Inkodye more effectively than household detergent.
12. Upholster Inkodye™ printed fabric onto the chair seat.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>