iPod or Cell Phone Cover
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Warm & Natural batting approx. 6"x10" 1/4 yd. of 3/8" ribbon
- Assorted cotton quilting fabrics at least 6"x10" (reds, greens)
- 1/3 yd. of Rat tail cord
- Jo-Ann Scrap Essentials Word Charms
- Silver head pins
- Assorted small beads
- Small needle-nose pliers
- Fabri-Tac glue
- Velcro fastener strips & dots
- 3" of 1/8" elastic
- Silver embroidery thread
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- To determine cover dimensions for cutting the fabric, measure the iPod or cell phone from the center top to the center bottom and add 1/2" (height) and the circumference plus 1-1/2" (width).
- Example: iPod or cell phone is 4" high and 5" wide the fabric measurements would be 4-1/2" (height) x 6-1/2" (width). All seam allowances 1/4".
- For body of cover: Cut one each batting, lining (red), and outer fabric (green) using the above height and width measurements.
- Place outer layer fabric on top of batting. Using silver as the top thread, sew straight stitches in wavy rows close to side edge of layered fabric.
- Fold fabric in half, side to side and finger press.
- For trim: Cut rat tail in half and place cord through holes on word plate. Place ribbon where desired on front of cover, ending at fold mark. Place word plate on top with cords to the side. Baste edge of ribbon and cord on fold mark and at edge.
- Sew 2" Velcro strip on the fold (over ribbon and cord), starting one inch from top edge for the Ear Bud Holder.
- For flap: Cut red and contrasting green fabrics into 3" squares. Cut in half diagonally, discarding one half. With right sides of red and green triangles together, sew a narrow seam along one side and the diagonal cut. Turn inside out and press.
- Constructing: Place flap right sides together on what will be the top back of the cover. Place the lining on top, right sides together and sew along the top side. Open and press.
- Fold in half lengthwise right sides together and sew along bottom and the long side leaving the lining end open.
- Turn inside out, tuck the raw edges in 1/4", then sew and tuck the lining into the cover.
- Add beads to the buttons when sewing on end of flap. Sew or glue Velcro under button and on cover to match for closure.
- For Ear Bud Holder: Cut fabric 3"x4". Sew other half of 2" Velcro strip near 3" edge of fabric. Turn under top 1/4" twice, slip elastic in fold and sew edge of fold down making a casing. Sew sides and bottom of fabric pulling elastic lightly to gather for closure. Turn and adhere to side of cover.
- String beads on head pins and attach to hole in word plate.