Jacket with Needle Felted Trim
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• Simplicity® pattern 2504
• Fabric, interfacing & notions: refer to pattern
• Basic sewing supplies
• Sewing machine
• Iron & ironing surface
• Wool roving
• Wool yarn scraps
• Needle-felting tool
• Needle-felting brush
• Steam iron, pressing cloth
1. Follow Simplicity® pattern instructions to make view C jacket. In the collar/scarf portion, do not include interfacing and do not top stitch around the edge.
2. From the fabric scraps, cut a piece the size and shape of the scarf portion of the jacket to use to practice needle felting.
3. On the practice piece of fabric, place small portions of the wool roving on the back side and needle felt the roving into the fabric according to package directions. The resulting look will be a faint coloration, not a distinct design. It may stick out from the surface and can be easily trimmed for a smoother look. Practice with wool yarn for a faint linear design. Needle felt yarn & roving on the top side of the fabric for a different look.
4. Based on the practice results, plan a needle-felted design that flows well for the design of the jacket. Work on the scarf portion of the jacket & take the design up to the collar area for a more flowing look.
5. Trim design. Steam press when finished.