Jerzees T-Shirt Twist Hanging Planter
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- XL T-shirt
- Tulip Dye – Lime Green
- Small bucket
- Plant in container
- Plant hook or ring
1. Dye the T-shirt, following manufacturer’s directions for tie-dying, or dye the entire shirt in the bucket. Hang to dry.
2. Only the bottom part of the shirt will be used in this project; save the rest for a future project. Cut across the shirt, just under the sleeves. Cut the shirt at one side seam. Cut off the shirt hem.
3. To make the planter, you need 8 long strips, so fold the shirt in half and cut. Now you have 2 strips. Fold and cut each of these, to make 4 strips. Fold and cut again to make 8 strips. Stretch each strip gently, so that they curl slightly.
4. Gather the ends of all 8 strips and tie a large knot, which will be the top of the hanger. If desired, slip a ring or plant hook in while tying the knot.
5. Select 2 strips and tie them into a knot 2" down from the large knot. Continue for 4 knots, using all 8 strips.
6. Take one strip from one set and join it with one strip from another set, and tie a knot 4" down. Continue for all 8 strips.
7. To add interest to the planter, twist the strips in a set; wrap them around each other, and knot, about 5" down. Continue for all strips.
8. Gain, separate and re-match the sets; knot a few inches down. Separate, rematch, and knot once more. Join all 8 strands in another large knot to secure. Tug on the tail strands, to curl again.
9. Hang the hanger. Place the bowl, with plant, inside.