Jolly Roger Poncho
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®:
- Black, 4 balls (A)
- Fisherman, 1 ball (B)
- or colors of choice
- Lion Brand® stitch markers
- Lion Brand® large-eyed blunt needle
- Circular knitting needle size 15 (10 mm), 60" (152 cm) long
- Circular knitting needle size 15 (10 mm), 24" (60 cm) long
- Tape measure
- Finished Circumference About 90" (228 cm) at widest
- Finished Length About 16-1/2" (42 cm)
- 9 sts + 12 rows = about 4" (10 cm) in St st (k on RS, p on WS).
- BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
- STITCH EXPLANATION:
- Yo (yarn over)
- An increase that also creates a small decorative hole (eyelet) in the fabric, worked as follows:
- Bring yarn to front, between the needles.
- Take yarn to back, over the right needle. This creates the new st. Proceed with the next st as instructed.
- Four Panels are worked separately, then sewn together to make Poncho.
- Panels are worked back and forth in rows on circular needle, as if working on straight needles.
- Two Panels are worked in intarsia colorwork, following a chart.
- When working intarsia, use a separate ball of yarn for each color section, do not carry unused color across WS of work. Twist yarns on WS to prevent holes.
- To print the chart, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
- When following chart, work in St st (k on RS, p on WS), and read RS chart rows from right to left and WS chart rows from left to right.
- Stitches are picked up around lower edge of Panels for border, then border is worked in the round.
- End with a WS row means that the last row you work should be a WS row, and the next row that you are ready to work will be a RS row.
- When you see "– 12 sts" in the instructions, this lets you know how many sts you will have at the end of that specific row.
- PLAIN PANELS (make 2):
- With shorter circular needle and A, cast on 34 sts.
- Work in St st (k on RS, p on WS), back and forth in rows on circular needle, until piece measures 15 in. (38 cm) from beg.
- Bind off.
- SKULL PANELS (make 2):
- Cast on and work as for Plain Panels until piece measures about 1 1/2 in. (4 cm) from beg, end with a WS row as the last row you work.
- Beg Chart
- Row 1 (RS): With A, k8, work Row 1 of Skull Chart across next 17 sts, with A, k9.
- Continue in St st, keeping first and last sts with A and remaining sts following chart until 38 rows of Skull Chart have been completed.
- With A only, continue in St st until piece measures same length as Plain Panels.
- Bind off.
- Following diagram, sew a side edge of each Plain Panel to the sides of one Skull Panel. Following diagram, on remaining side of one Plain Panel, match A on Plain Panel to A on Skull Panel, then match B on Plain Panel to B on Skull Panel. Sew Panels together from A to B. Rep on opposite side.
- Lower Edge Border
- Note that one corner of each Plain Panel forms a ‘point’ along the lower edge of the Poncho.
- From RS with longer circular needle and A, beg at one of these points, pick up and knit 102 sts evenly spaced along lower edge of Poncho – 34 sts across each of the 3 panel edges to the next point; place marker (pm), pick up and knit 102 sts evenly spaced along lower edge of panels back to first corner – 204 sts. Place marker for beg of rnd and join by working the first st on left hand needle with working yarn from right hand needle.
- Rnd 1: *P1, yo, purl to next marker, yo, slip marker (sm); rep from * once – you will have 208 sts at the end of this rnd.
- Rnd 2: (K1, yo, knit to next marker, yo, sm) twice – 212 sts.
- Rnd 3: Rep Rnd 1 – 216 sts.
- Note: When changing to B on Rnd 4, do not cut A, just carry strand of A up the WS of your work.
- Rnd 4: Change to B, rep Rnd 2 – 220 sts.
- Rnd 5: With B, rep Rnd 1 – 224 sts.
- Cut B.
- Rnd 6: Change to A, rep Rnd 2 – 228 sts.
- Rnd 7: With A, rep Rnd 1 – 232 sts.
- Bind off.
- From RS with shorter circular needle and A, beg at one seam along neck edge of Poncho, pick up and knit 62 sts evenly spaced around neck. Place marker for beg of rnd and join.
- Rnd 1: Purl.
- Rnd 2: Knit.
- Rnds 3-8: Rep Rnds 1 and 2.
- Rnd 9: Purl.
- Bind off.
- Weave in ends.
- beg = begin(ning)
- k = knit
- p = purl
- rep = repeat
- rnd(s) = round(s)
- RS = right side
- St st = Stockinette stitch
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- WS = wrong side
Items in This Collection
Item # prd12018
Available for U.S. Shipping Only