SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fabric Central Seaglass by-the-yard fabrics:
- 3/4 yd Filagree, Fabric A
- 5/8 yd Packed Flowers, Fabric B
- 5/8 yd Beaded Stripe, Fabric C
- Rotary cutter, mat, acrylic ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
RS= Right Sides
DIRECTIONS: Use 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise noted. See PDF for Diagrams referenced.
- From Fabric A cut: 26"x30" piece for the main body of the apron. If using a large scale motif, center motif on the 26" side (Diagram 1).
- From Fabric B cut: 8"x13-1/2" piece for the bodice lining; 8"x28" piece for the ruched bodice; two 6"x30" piece for the ruffle.
- From Fabric C cut: two 5"x30" pieces for the neck straps & two 5"x38" pieces for the side straps.
- For the main body of apron, fold Fabric A piece in half to measure 15"x26". Using fabric marker, mark dots (Diagram 1). Use a ruler to connect Dots A and B, then Dots B & C. Draw a curved line connecting Dots C & D. The distance between Dots C & E should be 14-1/2". Cut on the drawn lines.
- For the neck & side straps fold one 5"x30" Fabric C neck strap in half lengthwise; press. Open strip, fold 1 short end to WS 1/2"; press. Fold long edges to center crease; press. Fold in half again lengthwise; press firmly. Sew close to edge around 3 sides of strap, leaving 1 raw short edge open. Repeat with remaining Fabric C neck strap & side straps (Diagram 2).
- For the ruffle sew two 6"x30" Fabric B strips, with RS together, end-to-end to create 1 long strip. Hem 1 long side by folding 1/4" to WS; press. Fold another 1/4" & machine-stitch the hem in place. Baste opposite long side 1/4" from raw edge. With RS together, match center & ends of ruffle to main apron body. Adjust gathers to fit; pin. Press seam toward main body. Zigzag stitch over seam allowances to eliminate fraying.
- For the side straps measure 1/2" down from top left side of apron body & align raw edge of side strap with raw edge of apron (Diagram 3 - see PDF). Baste strap in place using 1/8" seam allowance. Fold raw edge of apron& ruffle to WS 1/4"; press. Fold another 1/4" & machine-stitch in place. Flip strap to the side of apron & stitch
to lay flat (Diagram 4 - see PDF). Repeat for top right side of apron using remaining side strap.
- For the apron bodice baste 1/4" from top & bottom long edges of 8"x24" Fabric B apron bodice (Diagram 5). Gather both top & bottom edges slightly to 13-1/2" to match bodice lining, for ruching. Place RS of 1 gathered bodice edge & apron body together with bodice sides 1/4" inside the apron body sides & pin. Stitch seam using a 3/8" seam allowance (Diagram 6 - see PDF). Press seam toward bodice lining. Pin raw edge of 1 neck strap 1/2" over from top left corner of apron bodice, even with the raw edges. Baste strap in place using a 1/8" seam allowance. Repeat with remaining neck strap for top right hand corner of bodice (Diagram 7). Fold 1 long side of 8"x13" Fabric B bodice lining to WS 1/2"; press. With RS together, pin bodice lining on top of ruched bodice matching raw edges & pressed hem on the bottom. Sew together at sides & top. Clip corners;
turn to right side. Fold lining hem 3/8" to WS. Hand-stitch at bodice seam (Diagram 8).
back to top
Combine three coordinating fabrics into a feminine but not overly frilly apron. Make one for yourself or create one as a gift for your favorite "apronista."