Kathy Davis Holiday Tree
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
Table Top Tree Skirt
- Scatter Joy fabrics designed by Kathy Davis Studios for Fabric Traditions
- 3/4 yard Gather Together Green
- 1/2 yard Red Poinsettias
- 1/2 yard White Pine Branches
- 1-1/4 yard backing fabric
- 44" x 44" square quilt batting
- 1-1/4 yard Gather Together Green
- 3/4 yard Red Poinsettias
- 1 yard White Pine Branches
- 2-1/4 yard backing fabric
- 52" x 52" square quilt batting
- Thread to match fabrics
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
Room Size Tree Skirt
For Both Sizes
Room Size Tree Skirt: 56" diameter (widest PoinT)
- To print the patterns and measurements, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
- Follow steps 2-6 to make the pattern and cut the pieces. Follow the measurements given first to cut the pieces for the Table Top Size. Use the measurements in parentheses for the Room Size Tree Skirt
- Draw a pattern for the panel using the measurements shown in the diagram for the size you would like to make.
- From Gather Together Green and White Pine Branch, cut one 4-1/2" x 7-1/2" (5-3/4" x 11-1/2") rectangle.
- From Gather Together Green, cut three strips from each of the following measurements 3" x 19", 3" x 16-1/2" and 3" x 10-1/2" (3-3/4" x 26", 3-3/4" x 22-1/2" and 3-3/4" x 15"). Cut five (six) 2 ½” x WOF binding strips. Trim the ends of the binding strips diagonally.
- From Red Poinsettias, cut three strips from each of the following measurements 3" x 22-1/2", 3" x 16-1/2", and 3" x 13-1/2" (3-3/4" x 30", 3-3/4" x 22-1/2" and 3-3/4" x 18-1/2").
- From White Pine Branches, cut three strips from each of the following measurements 3" x 22-1/2", 3" x 19", 3" x 13-1/2" and 3" x 10-1/2" (3-3/4" x 30", 3-3/4" x 26", 3-3/4" x 18-1/2" and 3-3/4" x 15").
- For the large tree skirt, cut one 52" x WOF piece from the backing fabric. From the remaining piece, cut two 26-1/4" x 10" pieces. Remove the selvages.
- Follow steps 9-16 to make the tree skirt.
- Arrange the strips for each panel from as shown in the diagram. Place the rectangle at the top. Make 3 of each panel A and B.
- With right sides facing in, stitch the strips and rectangles together in order matching the centers of the long edges and using 1/4" seam allowance. Press the seams in panel A toward the top of the panel. Press the seams in panel B toward the bottom of the panel.
- Pin the pattern in place on each panel matching the lower edge. Cut along the side and upper edges of the pattern.
- Alternating panels A and B, stitch them together along the long diagonal edges matching the seams of the strips. Leave one edge open for the back of the tree skirt. Trim the seam allowance from the open back edges.
- For the large tree skirt, stitch the two small backing pieces together along one 10" edge. Stitch this piece to one 52" edge of the large piece. Press the seams open.
- Place the backing fabric wrong side up with the quilt batting on top. Place the tree skirt right side up on the quilt batting. Pin or baste the layers together.
- Quilt along the seams or quilt as desired. Trim the edges of the batting and backing even with the top along the center and diagonal back edges. Trim the outer edge 1/8" larger than the tree skirt.
- Join the diagonal ends of the binding to make one long straight strip. Fold in half lengthwise and press.
- Pin then stitch the binding to the right side of the tree skirt using 3/8" seam allowance and mitering at the corners. Join the ends neatly. Fold the binding to the backing side and stitch in place.