SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Dress main: Kathy Davis Fabric - to be determined by size
- 1/2 yd of Kathy Davis Fabric - Ruffle
- 3/4 yd of Kathy Davis Fabric - Petals, Neckband & Drawstring
- 1/4 yd of coordinating green fabric - Stem & Leaves
- 1/4 yd Wonder Under
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Safety pin
Use the chart below for the width of the dress. Cut 2 pieces of main dress fabric the width x your length measurement.
For the length, measure from the nape of the neck to the desired length then subtract 3" for the ruffle.
Dress front and back width measurements:
Size 2-3 4-5 6-7
Cut 2 pieces 18" 21"22"
Ruffle - 2 pieces - 7" x width of fabric
Petal Template - 10 pieces
Neck Casing - 2 pieces – 3" x width of top, plus 1"
Drawstring - 2 pieces – 2-1/2"x30"
Stem - 1piece – 1-1/2" x length of dress (cut from selvage to selvage)
Leaves Template - 2 pieces of fabric, 2 pieces of Wonder Under
- Fold the front dress rectangle in half. Measure 2" in from the top corner. Measure 6" down from the top corner. Draw a line attaching the points and cut corner off. Repeat with back rectangle.
- Narrow hem the angled edges by folding 1/4" and then 1/4" again to back of fabric. Press and stitch close to pressed edge.
- Pin the stem to the center of the dress front. Zigzag stitch along both long edges.
- Following the manufacturer’s directions, iron the Wonder Under to the wrong side of the leaves. Iron the leaves to the stem about half way on the dress. Zigzag stitch around the outer edges of the leaves.
- With right sides together stitch 2 petal pieces along the side edges, leaving the top open. Turn and press. Baste the top raw edges together. Make 5 petals.
- Place the petals along the top edge of the dress front, placing the center one over the stem, overlapping as much as necessary to fit. Baste in place along raw edges.
- Narrow hem the short edges of the neck casing by pressing in 1/4", then 1/4" again. Stitch close to inner edge.
- Press the casing 1/4" to the wrong side along the long edges.
- Stitch the right side of the casing to the wrong side of the dress matching up the sides.
- Fold the casing to the front just over the seam and pin. Stitch close to the folded edge. Repeat steps 7 through 10 on the other side of dress.
- With right sides together stitch the front and back of dress together.
- With right sides together stitch the front and back ruffle together.
- Fold the ruffle in half, with wrong side’s together, lining up the raw edges. Baste around the raw edges. Gather top edge of ruffle to fit the lower edge of the skirt.
- Turn the dress right side out.
- Place the ruffle on the outside of the lower edge of the dress, lining up the raw edges of the dress with the raw edges of the ruffle and lining up the side seams of both. Stitch all around the ruffle.
- To make the drawstring stitch the 2 pieces together on one short edge. Fold this long piece in half lengthwise and stitch on all 3 sides leaving a 3" opening in the center for turning. Turn and press.
- Attach a safety pin on one end of drawstring and weave through the front and back casing. After trying the dress on you can stitch through the ends of casing to keep the strap in place.